Sunday, June 29, 2008

Day 56: Live Oak to GAINESVILLE, FLORIDA ** 3,512 miles!!









































Day 56 It was finally here. The last day of a long, long bike ride. I woke up at 6:30am so I could pack up, eat some breakfast and start pedaling at 7:15am. As I was eating breakfast Ashton and Renee from Jackson, MS asked if I was riding in an event today. I shared with them that today was my final day of a UFCCH fundraising bike ride from Flagstaff, AZ to Gainesville, FL.

They were excited about the ride because they ride a Tandem bike and are Christians. They live in Jackson, MS and were on their way to Savannah, GA to move their son from Savannah to Lexington, KY so he could begin his first job after graduating from college. Renee asked God's blessings over me as I pedaled today. I was glad for that and glad that I met them.

I also got to meet SHERRIL at the front desk. She and Celeste had talked the day before so she went home after work and read some of my blog. She was looking forward to meeting me before I left. It was nice meeting and talking with her. I thanked her for the super room she gave me and then set off on 129 south to 90 east.

I got to downtown Live Oak and took a left on 90. The sign said I have 24 miles to Lake City. I knew that I needed to stay focused on the next town ahead instead of thinking about arriving in Gainesville by 3pm or else I would drive myself crazy and add undue stress to the ride. The road and weather were good so I arrived in Lake City one hour and forty five minutes later. I checked the maps program on my phone to make sure I located 441 south. I did. It was just past First Christian Church of Lake City.

I began my journey south to High Springs. I was especially excited about this stretch of road because I had biked it several times during training. When I got to the familiar store on the route I felt as though I now could think a bit more about home because I was only 8-10 miles out of High Springs and from there it was on to Alachua and then Gainesville.

The ride into High Springs passed quickly and the next thing I knew I was in Alachua. It was tempting to stop for some amazing food at Conestoga's but I wanted to press on to Gainesville even if I was a bit early. You never know what might happen along the way so I find it is best to get as close as possible to my next destination as soon as I can. I did get to Gainesville early so I pedaled down 43rd St. to the Starbucks on the corner of 43rd and Millhopper.

It was so great to be seeing familiar sights and riding familiar roads. I will admit that at times this past week and today I found myself quite emotional as I got closer and closer to home. It was emotional for me to enter Florida because I left on May 3rd. It was emotional for me to ride down 43rd to Millhopper because I was close to home and close to seeing Celeste and dear friends.

I pulled into Starbucks, parked my bike and took off my bike shoes. It felt so good to get those shoes off. I hope not to wear them many times more. I sat down outside to rest and take my Camelbak off before going inside to get an iced coffee.

Soon after sitting down Gloria Weber came my way. She saw me and said, "I know you". She welcomed me back and then we visited for a minute. She then went to Subway and I went to get my iced coffee. She came out of Subway and insisted on buying me lunch. I consented. What a blessing. She then left for Publix to meet back up with her husband Bob. I took my sandwich and iced coffee inside Starbucks. Shortly thereafter Gloria returned and said Bob wanted to come hang out some. It was great to spend time talking with Bob and Gloria. As we were talking Celeste called and said she was on her way to Starbucks. Just after Bob and Gloria left Celeste arrived. It was great to see her for the first time since June 9th in Kingsport, TN.

We visited for a bit then it was time for me to head to Harvest Christian Church for a Welcome Home Gathering that they had planned for me. It was great to see so many people that I care about deeply from UFCCH, Harvest Christian Church and FCC Lake Butler.

It was also a great surprise to see Bill and Barbara Dolamore who don't live far from HCC. Bill and I went to high school together and spend alot of time at Gator games and other stuff. He and Barb are great friends.

Brittany, a young lady from the local TV station was there to film me riding and then took a moment to interview me about the ride. After Randy DeShong offered a prayer of thanks for my safe return we went inside for some punch and cookies.

This time with so many who were diligent in lifting me up in prayer or dropping me an encouraging note or giving me a call was special. I couldn't thank them enough for all that they did during my ride to keep me encouraged and keep me going. Believe me, there were a few days and nights when I was ready to pack it in and catch the next flight home. It was so cool though how God used someones note or call to encourage me to go on.

Especially encouraging was Celeste. It seemed as though on the days I was down she was upbeat and encouraging and on the few days that she was down I was upbeat and encouraging. I was glad that we were never down together. That could have been an easy excuse for me to pack up my stuff and come home. I know it was a God thing. It is exciting to say that there were many more days that were so great that I couldn't wait for the next day to see what God was going to show me or what he was going to do or who he was going to introduce to me.

We finished up our time together at the church then I followed Jon Peine up 34th as he pulled his darling daughter, Rosemary in her kid trailer. We parted ways once we got to 53rd. They went straight and I turned right to go home. I was riding quick so I got home pretty fast.

Some neighbors of mine were on bikes were there to greet me. We rode down the street and back just so I could finish the day's ride at 77 miles. When we got back from riding down the street several others were there to welcome me back. We have great neighbors! They were so helpful to Celeste during the eight weeks I was gone. We finished talking then I went to the back to unload and see our cats, Runt, Fluff and meet a little black kitten who had recently adopted us.

Our home and neighborhood are so great that it took no time whatsoever to feel back at home. I got unpacked, threw my laundry in, then took a shower. After all that it was time for Sonny's! I had been craving it for weeks but purposefully planned to wait till I could eat at the original Sonny's on Waldo Road with Celeste. It was so good but we couldn't eat it all. We have lots of leftovers for this week.

During the trip I lost 24 pounds so I don't have the appetite I did before the trip. Nonetheless, the ribs were great!

Now it is time to get some rest so I can get up bright and early tomorrow and bike to Starbucks to read and then to the pool to swim for the first time in months. I will be competing in the Silverman Ironman distance triathlon in Henderson, NV in November. I also have to take Celeste's car to the shop, meet with Dan Ball at Coffee Culture, work at the Campus House, get on campus....

Please pray for me as I adjust to life after the Go the Distance bike ride. It will be much different. I am excited about it but I know it will take time for me to adjust to a faster way of life that includes so much work to get done at the Chrsitian Campus House and at home.

There will also be lots of meetings and appointments to go to. Each day during GTD it was wake up, pack up, ride, eat, ride, get there, set up, do e-mail and sleep. Alot to do but all this was done at a much slower pace.

Thanks for your prayers. I will let you know how things are going.

Blessings,

bob g
"FOR WITH GOD, NOTHING SHALL BE IMPOSSIBLE." Luke 1:37

STATS - Mileage Today 77, Pace 14, Riding time 5:22

GRAND TOTAL "GO THE DISTANCE" CUMULATIVE MILES: 3,512

B's Homecoming Photos by our Kyra Lincoln :)