Monday, June 2, 2008

Day 29: Cedar Vale to Chetopa,KS








































Day 29
I woke up to a beautiful morning! The temperature was just right. After a chat with the locals around the picnic table about the recent hail storm I began to pedal east. The first small town with a store was Peru. It was a small, dark store with a grill in the back. A few folks were there eating. No one really talked except two young girl's were picking at each other. I finished my drink and continued on 166 east.

Awhile later 166 joined with 75 and went to Caney. I stopped to use the restroom facilities. I got talking to Kenneth. He was diagnosed with lung cancer in both lungs a year ago. They gave him 6-8 months to live and here he was a year later talking with me and getting ready to go to his niece's wedding this weekend in Arkansas. He knows he is blessed and his life is in God's hands.

Kenneth gave me some info on an old county road that went toward Coffeyville. I decided to take it. It was a nice country ride without dogs! It joined back with 166 about 12 west of Coffeyville.


In Coffeyville I stopped at McDonalds for a snack wrap and iced coffee. I worked on my phone a bit to check the weather and the map. I had to decide to stay or go. If I go, where? I decided it was too early to stop so I decided to pedal on to Chetopa, KS where there was a small locally owned hotel. Before Chetopa was Edna and a cold drink. I arrived in Chetopa and the hotel was on the east side of town. I got settled in and then walked to the park by the river to relax and take care of e-mail.


I finished with my e-mail and went to clean up. Then I walked over to Chetopa Foods and bought a Lunchable for dinner. I returned to my room to eat, watch the Women's College World Series, took care of some more e-mail and settled in for a good night's rest. Today was a good day.
Tomorrow I will dip down into Oklahoma and then cut over and up to Joplin, MO.

As always, prayers appreciated!

bob g


STATS - Mileage Today 88, Pace 13, Riding Time 6:52
Total GTD cumulative miles: 1,853