Sunday, June 8, 2008

Day 35: Kingsport, TN


Day 35 On Sunday, I took breakfast up to the room for Celeste for her 50th birthday!

Then went to church. Once again it was great to see dear friends that we ministered to and with for over ten years. We were excited that Drexie and Jeff were going to join us at church and then lunch. It was great to see them. Drexie we knew from our time at Boones Creek Christian Church and we got to know Jeff well in Gainesville at Harvest Christian Church. Our time together was a blast.

As soon as we left lunch we went to the Wexford House in Kingsport to visit, Wilmer Jones, a friend who was there after a couple of strokes. We took her communion. We shared that with her and talked with her awhile. It was hard to know if she actually knew it was us. Nonetheless it was good to see and share with her.

After our visit we returned to the hotel to work on bike trip business. We had to look at the second half of the trip and map out days and mileage. I had to make a phone call to Daphne, AL to see if I would be able to stop at the John and Holly Peterson's house in late June. John said they would be there so come on. I can't wait to visit with John and Holly, they are awesome! I also called my brother, David to give him a better feel for when he could meet up with me in Pensacola, FL. He, and maybe my other brother, Donald will ride with me from Pensacola to Gainesville. All the bike ride work helped to turn my focus back to what was going to take place the next three weeks.

Once we finished we went to get me a haircut and then spend some time with friends before calling it a night. We had a great visit with Haynes and Carolyn Phillips and their daughter Anna Lisa and family. Anna Lisa was in the youth group at Oakwood when I was there. She and her husband Cole and kids live in Edmond, OK and have been following my ride closely. I was so excited when Carolyn told me that Cole and Anna Lisa and kids would be arriving in Kingsport on Sunday. After a great time of sharing we returned to our hotel to settle in.

Before doing so though the room phone rang. A long time friend of ours, Randy, was downstairs in the lobby with his wife Cheryl. They had found out from some friends that we were there so they stopped by. It was great to see them. Randy works in South Carolina so it was a great surprise that they were in Kingsport. After our time with them our night came to a close.

Love to you all,

bob g