Sunday, June 22, 2008

Day 49: Jackson to Daphne, AL ** Finished 3,000 miles today !





































Day 49 Yesterday's ride was suppose to be in the 70's but it exceeded that so once again I did the ibuprofen and icy hot before going to bed. Woke up today feeling good. I got my stuff together, filled my Camelbak with ice and had some toast before setting off. Just down the road I saw a McDonald's so I pulled in for an iced coffee, a great way to start a ride. There I met Atchley and Bentley. They were really nice and very interested in my ride. We talked a bit and then I began my ride to Daphne.

The first two hours were cool, flat and fast. Since I was making good time and expending little energy I zipped through a couple of small towns. When I got to Calvert I stopped to use their restroom facilities and get a cold diet Mug Root beer. Several of the locals wanted to talk about my ride and help me get around Mobile to Daphne. I thanked them and then resumed riding.

Just north of Mobile I got a call from Chad Cowart. Chad and his wife Jenni were students at the Christian Campus House when Celeste and I arrived almost nine years ago. They now live in Orlando and are an awesome God loving couple. Chad asked me where I was and how it was going. I shared with him that the day was going well due to great temperatures and terrain. At that point I was averaging 15.7mph and had ridden about 45 miles. We chatted for a few minutes about the week to come and pulling into Gainesville next Sunday afternoon. It was great to hear from and talk with Chad.

When I got to Satsuma it was lunch time so I stopped at McDonald's to order off the Dollar Menu and get an iced coffee. Jim introduced himself to me and asked about my ride. He used to ride a lot and then unfortunately lost his bike in a divorce settlement. I told him I hoped he would be able to get back in the position to purchase another bike. He had ridden quite a bit in Europe when he was in the service. I could tell he missed it.

After Satsuma it was on to Daphne. I stayed on 43 South till it ended then I got on 90/98 East. I had to ride over the Bay Bridge, it was a great view but the shoulder was very trashy so I had to watch out for nails and glass and rocks. This was not the most flattering way to go around Mobile, very industry looking.

I came upon Battleship Memorial Park and stopped to take a picture of the plane out front and look at the battleship from a distance. By this time the skies ahead looked like rain. I pedaled a bit more and just as I passed Felix's Fish Camp I felt the rain coming. Across from Felix's was an overhang from a gas station that use to be there. I along with a few others sought shelter there. The rain came down and the thunder cracked. I talked with Celeste about the forecast and it looked like this would be a quick moving storm. After about 30 minutes it was very wet on the roads but the rain had almost quit so I got going again.

I got into Daphne and found Starbucks. I had to use my gift card since it hadn't been used since Springfield, MO. I was glad I stopped. Not only did I get a free sample of the new lemonade freeze that Starbucks has out but I met Ovie and Ben. They are young pastors at a church in Fair Hope call The Union. Ben helped me with directions to John and Holly's house and then we all talked about ministry. I shared with them about UFCCH and they shared with me about The Union. We exchanged contact info that I said I had to move on. They said they would check out my ride and keep me in prayer as I finish up.

The ride to John and Holly's was hilly and a bit wet. I had about 5 miles to go to get to their neighborhood. I found Holly Ct. and then spotted the GATOR truck so I knew I was there. John was working out in the garage so he greeted me. He helped me get things undone and unloaded so I could move my stuff in. Holly and their girls were there as well so it was great to see them.
I cleaned up, we talked a bit then John took me to see his birthday present, a massage chair! It was amazing! After the massage we talked a bit then had a great dinner.

After dinner they took me to Fair Hope and the Pier. We got there just as the sun was going down so it was beautiful. Also beautiful were all the roses that surrounded the fountain in the Pier parking area. We enjoyed the Pier for a bit and then returned home for some computer time and dessert. Strawberries, whipped cream over pound cake! What a great day and ending to it. After the news was over at 10:30pm we said goodnight. It had been both a good day and night PTL! I read Proverbs 22 and fell off to sleep.

Tomorrow is John's day off so he is going to take me and my bike to the bike shop for some gear adjustments. This will help with the ride home. We are also going to go scout out the best way for me to get from Daphne to Gulf Shores. It sounds like John, Holly and I will be eating crawfish before Holly goes to work. Should be a great day. On Tuesday I will enter into Florida, Lord willing, and meet up with Andy Pauwels, Minister at Gulf Shores Christian Church. I am looking forward to time with Andy and Camille.

As always, your prayers and notes and calls are so appreciated!

bob g

STATS - Mileage Today 85, Pace 15, Riding Time 5:43
Total GTD cumulative miles: 3,023