Thursday, June 26, 2008

Day 53: Crestview to Panama City, FL





















Day 53 The stay at the Walker's in Crestview was great. After some toast and juice I began to make my way to Panama City. The ride down 85 south was great but got even better as I got close to the Air Force Base. The temptation to stop and watch the planes was huge but I resisted because I needed to put a good dent in today's 90 mile ride before lunch.



I got into Niceville and enjoyed seeing familiar sights like the high school, Po Folks and the Niceville Christian Church. I got to the Mid Bay Bridge and paid a twenty five cent cyclist toll (they only requested ten cents but I was thankful for the bridge and scenery) and began the ride across the bridge to Destin. I was excited to get to Destin because Katie had given me a heads up that there was a Starbucks at Destin Commons. I found it and indulged in a Mint Mocha Chip Frappuccino (I was treating myself to something more than an iced coffee). It was amazing but can only be ordered if one is exercising quite a bit because it has to be super fattening. I finished up and exited the Commons on to 98 east. The shoulder was good then bad then good then bad then good. They are doing alot of road work in this developing area.



When I got to 30A I decided to take it toward the ocean. It took me through many new planned thematic communities. The best thing about these new communities is that you can find a Starbucks. I used my gift card several times on an iced coffee. The Florida heat was intense. At one stop I met John and Lisa and their two kids. They are from Nashville, TN. John is a cyclist and has ridden the Natchez Trace Trail with his friends. They will be making three trips to the Blue Ridge Parkway to ride it in the coming year. We talked alot about my trip and I answered his questions. We also talked about college ministry and UFCCH. Lisa had been involved with Campus Crusade during her college years. They were a really sweet family.



Before leaving John said he wanted to treat me to an iced coffee, what a blessing! It was great!

I was glad that my time on 30A was coming to a close. It was nice to ride through these beach communities but it was a slow ride due to the bike trail or having to ride the white line in slow traffic. I got back on 98 east and enjoyed the nice shoulder. How exciting it was to see the Panama City Beach sign! I decided to ride down Beach Front road. I rode past the Laguna Beach Christian Retreat Center where several of our Fall Beach Retreats were held. It was nice to see it again. From that point on I really didn't enjoy the ride down Beach Front because of the cracks in the shoulder, the pedestrians, the construction, etc.... When I was given the choice to continue on Alt. 98 or take the Express Route I jumped on the Express Route.



This was familiar to me so I knew I was getting close to the new bridge that would take me from Panama City Beach to Panama City. Just before the bridge it was time for a cold drink and snack. The heat had beat me up since the last stop. I found myself thirsty, hungry and a bit shaky.


After a cold drink, snack and some AC it was time to cross the bridge to PC and make my way to Drew and Marc's house in Lynn Haven. My iphone gave me great directions and they were right on. The ride there was good and my pace was up. I was so happy to see Cindy Lane and then Drew. I brought my stuff in and enjoyed some orange juice and conversation. A bit later mom arrived followed by dad and then Marc. I had a great time sharing with them about my trip and answering very good questions. Then it was time to get cleaned up so we could go out to dinner.

Marc and Drew took me to The Captain's Table. Drew's girlfriend Allison joined us as did Chris Fowler. We got to know Chris his Freshman year at UF and UFCCH. We were sad when Chris transferred but it was so great to see him again tonight. The dinner and time together was very enjoyable. After dinner I was treated to a viewing of the four headed palm tree, the only one of its kind, and a tour of Pier Place which was new to me. Tons of shops, stores, eating places and people. It is a happening Place!


After the Place it was time to get home. After some time visiting with the family and enjoying dessert it was time to call it a night because tomorrow's ride to the east side of Tallahassee looks to be long. I will need your prayers to make it through the ride! After tomorrow the rides to Live Oak and Gainesville shouldn't be too bad. Only two days of riding after tomorrow, WoW! Hard to believe but true PTL! \o/


Blessings,


bob g



STATS - Mileage Today 90, Pace 14, Riding Time 6:16
Total GTD cumulative miles: 3,246