Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Day 31 Joplin, MO
























Day 31 I slept so soundly that I didn't know that we were under a tornado watch last night after I went to bed. Jeremy said that he was in and out the front door several times and checking the weather on TV. I heard nothing. I was really surprised to hear that a tornado touched down in Chetopa, KS, the town in which I stayed the night before.

I woke up around 6:30am and decided to go for a short run, my first in a month. It felt good. After my run I cleaned up and got some reading and e-mail work done. At 8:15am Jeremy said it was time to depart for Starbucks and church. I loaded my bike in his truck so I could clean it at church before dropping it off at the bike shop.

The guys at the shop were great. Mark replaced two cables and one cable housing. He also greased the front hub. My rear wheel had a slight wobble so he turned some spokes to eliminate the wobble. All this for a really cheap price. I got back to the house and went to unload my bike and heard a loud ping. I was hoping it wasn't what I thought it was but it was. A broken spoke on the rear wheel. I called the shop immediately and they said to bring it back. I met the owner and as he learned of my situation he said he personally would deal with my wheel and Jeremy could pick it up next Monday. Once again, the best of a bad situation. God is cool like that.

Now I am with Jeremy and the youth group at the bowling alley. After this it is bed time.

Tomorrow the plan is to get up early so I can run and read before heading to the Springfield airport. It is going to be exciting to see Celeste for the first time in over four weeks. (32 days) I am also looking forward to seeing E. TN friends and sharing in Brad and Laura's wedding.

As always, prayers appreciated!

bob g


Schedule for the next few days:

June 4 - In Joplin today. Enjoying CIY (did many many mission trips with CIY in the past) and Ozark CC, laundry, Bike shop, etc...

June 5-9 - Flying out of Springfield,MO to the Tri-Cities, TN to see Celeste !

Visit friends, UFCCH supporters, Wedding of Brad and Laura on Saturday

Church at Oakwood Forest CC in Kingsport, TN on Sunday.

Fly back to MO on Monday.

June 4, 2008 thoughts shared with our UFCCH Students...

EXPECTATIONS Earlier this year I was planning for and praying about my upcoming bike trip from Flagstaff, AZ to Gainesville, FL. It is so hard to believe that I am 4 weeks and 1900 plus miles into the trip. Expectation has become partial reality.

As I got into the second week of my bike trip/struggle I was looking forward to Joplin, MO and the break I would have to go to TN to get Brad and Laura married and spend great time with Celeste. It seems that tomorrow that will become reality! Lord willing.

We have earthly expectations that are okay. As God's children our earthly expectations should never overshadow the expectation we have for our heavenly home and everlasting audience with God our Father.

This has been impressed on me more and more as I ride each day. I have lots of time to pray and think and sing and....

As I hear about storms and deaths and all the tragedy's taking place in people's lives, our country and around the world I have been reminded that my greatest expectation has to be for eternity because in this world there will be storms and hail and tornado's and death and crushed expectations.

I am thankful that the bike ride is underway. I am thankful that tomorrow's trip to TN and to Celeste is on the verge of happening. I fully understand that other things in my life in the future may not go as planned or as desired but that is a great reminder to me that this is not my home, I'm just passing through.

Scripture reminds us not to love this world or the things of this world because it and they will perish. I truly want to live like that daily so that I do not become to attached to that which will be gone.

How about you? Have a great today.

PREP DAY Today is not just a day off from riding but a day of preparation for the journey to TN and the resumption of the ride next Tuesday. I woke up around 6:30am and decided to go for a short run. I then did some reading and e-mail. Then Jeremy and I went to Starbucks and on to the church he ministers at. There I cleaned my bike and then took it over to the bike shop. I then stopped at another bike shop in Joplin to pick up a spare tire for the second half of the trip.

Now my laundry is getting done. I have started to look at my map for the next week of riding. In a bit after my laundry is done I will pack for the trip to TN. Not only will I take some clean clothes with me but also some winter clothing that I no longer need. Celeste will take that home for me.

Today is great and I expect tomorrow to be even better.

Lord willing,

bob g

P.S. Thanks also to my amazing wife who keeps me encouraged to ride on a daily basis. I have told many that during the hard days I had in the mountains and in the desert it would have been easy to pack it in and call it a ride if not for the encouragement of Celeste first then the rest of you.

God has used her and you to fuel me each and every day. Thank You so much !!

More news later...