Wednesday, July 16, 2008

AK Day 1: ALASKA MISSION TRIP - Gainesville to Orlando, FL




Day 1 - "The Best of a Bad Situation"

Most of the Alaska Mission Team and I are sitting in Ocala, FL at Tires Plus waiting for the UFCCH van to be fixed.

We met at the Campus House between 2 and 3pm so we could get to Orlando and get a good night's sleep before an early flight tomorrow. After everyone arrived and loaded up we prayed over the trip and then loaded up to begin the journey that we have anticipated for over 6 months. The enthusiasm was evident.

There was a lot of introductory conversation going on which was good. Then, just before SR 200 I noticed that the Check Gauge light was on and the AC got warm. I immediately turned the AC off, rolled down the windows and got off the Interstate on to 200 west. Right away I saw a Tires Plus on the south side of 200. I worked to get over so I could turn around. Because the power steering belt had come off it was work to get turned around. I pulled in and parked.

Upon walking in I met Phillip and Scott. I told them what had happened and Phillip said they would check it out right away. He and Scott began to examine it and inform me of what they found initially. Before they could move it into the garage they had to let it cool down. At that point we all moved into the Waiting Room. Team members began to do a variety of things. Read, journal or watch television. After awhile we decided to walk to Steak n Shake for dinner. It was good and a good time of community. During dinner it began to rain so we took our time.

Now we are back at Tires Plus waiting for the repairs to be done so they can run a block test. Phillip's preliminary report is that they think the block and heads are fine. That is our prayer. If the test comes back bad then Ed from Central Christian Church will come pick us up and take us to Orlando.

I find that when bad things rain down on God's people it generally is the best of a bad situation. We know God is in control and will provide so we sit here trusting in him and giving thanks for how this situation has played out thus far.

I will keep you posted. Prayers appreciated!

bob g