Sunday, June 15, 2008

Day 42: Vienna, IL to Grand Rivers, (Land between the Lakes) KENTUCKY























Day 42 I got to sleep in today because the storage room my bike was in wouldn't be opened till 7am. I enjoyed the rest.

For the first twenty miles it was cool and foggy. As I got to Golconda the sun burned off the fog and it got hot. I stopped to get ice for my Camelbak. There had been a Motor Bike Rally somewhere in the region over the weekend so many bikers were at the station and on the road. The ride from Golconda to Cave in Rock was good. Just before Cave in Rock I got some lunch. After lunch I only had two miles to catch the ferry across the Ohio River. I got in line behind five bikers.

The ferry was on the other side of the river so we had to wait 20 minutes. I got to talking with one of the bikers, he and his friends were from a church north of Cave in Rock. They were out for a Sunday afternoon ride. Their destination was a restaurant in Kentucky. We loaded the ferry. He took a picture of me with my bike. When we got to the other side and unloaded I let the traffic go. I entered into Kentucky and began a nice ride through the country and small, small towns. Thankfully each small town had a coke machine so I could get a cold drink and cold bottle of water for my Camelbak.

After Joy, KY I was to go straight but I turned left and stayed on 145. It was fine though, I would take it to Burna and then turn south on 60 to Smithland. At Smithland I went to the scenic overlook where the Cumberland and Ohio Rivers merged. Several locals were there talking. They wanted to know all about my ride and WHY?? They were excited that I was riding for a cause. I asked about getting to Land Between the Lakes and the campgrounds. They said it was a good, hilly ride and there were several campgrounds. They were right about both.

When I got to I 24 I was hungry and right at 100 miles.

The sign said 5 more miles to LBL. It was a quick ride to the Welcome Center. I asked a lady about a good campground, she said Hillman Ferry was good. She was right! I got there and secured sight #79. Before going there I stopped at the store for dinner stuff and laundry supplies. Next I stopped at the facility that had the showers, bathroom, washer and dryer. I got my clothes going and jumped into the shower. When I got out of the shower I put my laundry in the dryer. It would take 45 minutes for them to dry so I rode toward my site.

When I got to the lake I got reception so I called Celeste to say goodnight. Then I rode to my site and set up my tent. I was right on the lake and only had one other family camping out there. I returned to get my laundry. It felt good to have clean clothes! By now it was closing in on 11pm so I was more than ready to go to bed. I had one A T & T cell bar so I checked on some sports news before going to sleep. I also spent a moment with my map program looking at the day to come.

After three long days I was sore and tired and unsure of the day to come. The plan is to go to Waverly, TN but to do so I would have to pull off another 90 plus mile day. We'll see.

As always, your prayers are appreciated!

bob g

STATS - Mileage Today 109, Pace 12, Riding Time 8:44
Total GTD cumulative miles: 2,416