Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Day 52: Pensacola to Crestview, FL




Day 52 What a great night of sleep last night! Because I had a short ride to Crestview I slept till 7:15am. Andy and Eli had me to church by 8:05am so I was biking by 8:15am. Andy told me that I would see a Starbucks before I got to 90 east. I stopped for a slice of their reduced fat strawberries and creme coffee cake and an iced coffee. It was good. A short time later I was on 90 east leaving Pensacola. I love the water and bridges so this was a nice ride despite the semi rough road and shoulder. Before I knew it I was passing through Pace and not too far from Milton. There was a lot of energy on this stretch of road due to the amount of businesses and traffic. I was riding at a pretty good pace.

After Milton it turned to country. The road and shoulder had gotten better after Pensacola so the ride in the country on a good road and shoulder was very pleasant. I got to Harold and found a small country store. By this time I was only 22 miles from Crestview so I was ready for a cold diet Mug Root beer. It was hot so the Mug was so good. I got going again and after a short bit I saw a cyclist up ahead coming my way.

I knew it was Patrick. Patrick is the Sr. Pastor at Woodlawn Baptist Church in Crestview. Chris Davy and Katie Walker met him when they stopped at Woodlawn and to talk with him about the possibility of having their wedding there next June. Somehow biking and my trip came up. Patrick has done a lot of biking and was interested in riding with me some if it worked out with his schedule. Fortunately it did. We had a great time riding and talking. He even shared a joke or two with me. It was a good time.

I asked him about Crestview having a Starbucks and he said it now did. Originally he planned to stop at the Funeral Home where his car was parked but he decided to ride into Crestview with me to Starbucks. I was glad he did. We got to exchange cards and talk a bit more about biking and ministry. A short time later Katie Walker showed up. What a surprise! I didn't know Katie was home. It was so great to see her. Patrick left for home so Katie and I visited for a bit before heading to her house. She drove off and I headed down the road. It wasn't far to her house but there was a good hill you had to go up to get there. I got up the hill and a few moments later I was at her house pulling into the garage. Her dad, Darrell came out and we got everything unloaded and unpacked. They got me moved in and then visited for awhile.

I got cleaned up and did some computer work. Katie took care of getting my laundry started. Then it was dinner time. They have a great restaurant in Crestview called Coach-n- Four, that is where we were headed. It was awesome as usual. Celeste was jealous that I got to eat there tonight...she loves it.

Now we are chilling out. My laundry is done and my eyes are tired. I look forward to a great night of sleep before tomorrow's ride to Panama City. I've already received a note from Marc Maclean, one of my UFCCH Students, with a whole list of restaurant options for dinner tomorrow night. They all look great so I'm not sure how were gonna figure it out.

One thing I have figured out is that your prayers are awesome and God hears them so please KEEP PRAYING even though I am only four days away from home. Almost Home...

God bless you! "I can do all things through HIM who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 \o/

bob g

STATS - Mileage Today 53, Pace 15, Riding Time: 3:38
Total GTD cumulative miles: 3,156