Saturday, June 21, 2008

Day 48: Demopolis to Jackson, AL























Day 48 Before I went to bed last night I took some ibuprofen (THANKS Spencer and 6:8 Ministries!) and rubbed some icy hot on my knees. The Ozarks followed up by many days of high mileage had my knees aching. Today was a 76 mile day with some good hills so I will repeat the process before going to bed.


The night of sleep at the hotel was great. Since today's ride was only going to be in the 70's I slept in till 7am. I got up and enjoyed the hotel breakfast and computer. At 8:30am I started pedaling toward Jackson, AL. As I was riding out of town I heard a motorcycle come up behind me slowly. Next thing I knew he was riding beside me and began to talk with me about my where I had been and where I was heading. After a minute he said, "just remember that God loves you." I said I know then I told him why I was doing the ride. He got excited and said that he would pray for me daily. Then he took off. It was neat to meet Motorcycle Man at the beginning of my ride today. It set a good tone.


Once again today there were lots of rolling hills and some good flat stretches. Because of this I pushed on through Providence and Linden before stopping just outside of Dixons Mills at a tiny, old time looking convenience store called Agee's. I had to use the restroom and get a diet drink. The inside of the store was dimly lit with plywood floors. There were two really sweet African American ladies working. One was especially excited that this ride had spiritual implications. We talked about Campus House for a bit then I said goodbye.


From Dixons Mills it was 10 miles to Thomasville. It was a bigger city with many banks and restaurants in the words of the girls at Agee's. They were right. The first billboard I saw before Thomasville advertised a bank. Once in Thomasville I saw other banks and then Pizza Hut. Because of the heat and hills I seem to find myself very hungry by lunch time.


I enjoyed some strawberry lemonade, a salad and their oven baked spaghetti. I took my time eating and then took some time to do some internet work re: the days to come. From Thomasville I only had 30-32 more miles to Jackson so I enjoyed the Pizza Hut AC for a bit longer. After lunch it cooled down some but was still muggy. I did see the clouds darken a bit so I wondered if I would get rained on on the way to Jackson. Half way to Jackson was the small town of Grove Hill.

After Thomasville 43 south turned into a four lane so to go into Grove Hill you had to get off the four lane and go into the Business District. I did and didn't see much until I spotted Tiger Food Grocery Store. There wasn't much going on in Grove Hill or Tiger Food but the people were really friendly and a couple of the girls wanted to hear all about my ride. I filled my Camelbak with ice and enjoyed two glasses of their very own sweet tea. Finally, sweet tea like I am use to! So good.


As I was paying I told the checker it was off to Jackson. He laughed and said he wouldn't want to go there. That made me curious so I asked why? He gave several reasons. One was, he just didn't want to go there. Another was, the big hills you have to go up to get to Jackson. I would have been happy if he had stopped at one but I guess the warning was good.


I left Tiger Food for the four lane. Downhill to start, that's good. Gentle rolling hills for bit, that's good. Listening to Bleach and Seven Day Jesus, that's very good as well as motivational and distracting. As I listen to music I don't look at my computer as much as I keep an eye on my mirror. Just for fun I took a peak at my computer. Wow, 10 miles down and 20-22 to go. The next 15 miles went as well then all of sudden a headwind. The first noticeable one since Kansas and Missouri.

Then out of nowhere came two really good climbs before Jackson. Because of the climbs out west and in the Ozarks my legs are fine for these climbs, they just slow down my progress and cause me to sweat alot. At the top of the second climb I saw the Jackson sign PTL! \o/ Since I am on 43 south and not the back roads on my map it is very hard to find a place to camp so tonight I stopped at the Econo Lodge in Jackson.


After tonight I will spend a couple of nights with John and Holly Peterson in Daphne, AL, one with Andy Pauwels in Pensacola/Milton, one with Katie Walker's parents in Crestview, one at a Campground in Marianna, one with a CCH alum in Tallahassee and a final one somewhere in Live Oak. After that it's HOME to Gainesville!


As always, your prayers are appreciated!

bob g

STATS - Mileage Today 76, Pace 14, Riding Time 5:33
Total GTD cumulative miles: 2,938