Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Day 44: Dover to Perryville, TN




Day 44 Today was a welcomed change in the weather. The mid 90's were gone and the low 80's were here for the next few days. Yesterday's short day allowed my legs and bottom to get some extra rest and today both felt much better.

The terrain was now very fair and the hills were rideable (not sure if this is a word but it is in the bg vocabulary) and followed by great downhills. I don't mind this type of terrain. It is a good workout. As much as the Ozarks terrorized my legs I can tell they are stronger.

The ride on 49 and 13 to Waverly was enjoyable. It did get a bit challenging the final 6 miles going into Waverly. Once in Waverly I took some time at McDonald's to work on my blog and eat an early lunch.

After lunch I decided to continue south on 13 to Linden, TN. What a beautiful ride on good roads. Before getting to Linden I stopped at Cissie Lynn's Country Store to refill my Camelbak with ice and get a cold drink. Cissie and I got talking about my ride, she was real excited. I began to ask her about her store, the Loretta Lynn Campground across the way and her relation to Loretta. She said, "she's my mom". I said,"cool". I asked her how mom was doing and she said great. She had just returned from a show. Cissie was great to talk with and she didn't charge me for the ice I put in my Camelbak!

After we talked about what I've learned/experienced along the way she shared a story with me about her dad and her ride on her horse from I 40 to home. Both had to do with taking things slow and noticing the little things along the way. I took Cissie's picture for the blog and gave her my card with the address on it. Now it was time to head to Linden.

Once in Linden I had to decide which way to go from there. After checking out the map my decision was easy. I needed to take 412 to Perryville, TN so I could camp at Beech Bend State Park. I stopped at the store before the Park for a few supplies, I was sure the State Park wouldn't have a store. The Park was very nice and the Manager let me camp for FREE. What a blessing! \o/

A short time later as I set up my site a couple of guys came around with some free firewood. Another blessing! I cooked up some Mac and Cheese that was delicious. For dessert I popped up my first batch of Jiffy Pop. I need more practice. I charged up my phone in the bathroom as I cleaned up and got ready to climb in my tent for the night. It was great that the temperature had fallen. I actually had to get in my sleeping bag right away.

Tomorrow I am heading toward Fulton, MS. Not sure I can get that far but I will do my best as I deal with the terrain, weather, dogs, bike stuff....

It will be exciting to enter another State. Only two more after that PTL!

Keep the prayers coming.

bob g
STATS - Mileage Today 100, Pace 13, Riding Time 7:26
Total GTD cumulative miles: 2,566