Saturday, June 28, 2008

Day 55: Tallahassee to Live Oak, FL
























Day 55 The second half of yesterday's ride into Tallahassee did a number on me. I was so tired last night that I decided to sleep in a bit this morning. I finally departed just before 9am. The first 18 miles to Monticello were hot and hilly. After getting a cold drink I rode the next 16 miles to Greenville pretty quick. There I stopped for a snack and a drink. Lunch would be in Madison which was 14 miles away. The ride to Madison was mostly flat but there were a few hills mixed in. Once in Madison there was a decent climb to McDonald's. I ordered the Ranch BLT minus the T and an iced coffee. I did some computer work then noticed that outside the clouds had turned dark and the wind had picked up. The wind was blowing from the west so I went out and moved my bike to the east side of the building. By this time the storm was letting loose. All I could do was go inside and wait it out.


When it looked like the worst of the rain had passed and the lightening was done I set off. A short while later as I was feeling really good about the final 30 miles in cooler temperatures and a light rain my rear tire blew out. I took off my saddle bags, unloaded and unhooked my trailer and changed my tire and tube. It didn't take too long so I was back and going, just a bit wetter. The light rain continued through Ellaville and Falmouth Springs all the way to Live Oak. I was glad to get to the hotel so I could dry out my stuff (my saddle bags puddled up with water) and get a warm shower.


After getting cleaned up I made several phone calls, then John and Janet Good from Live Oak called me and wanted to have me over to eat and visit. I was excited to get to spend some time with them and two of their three kids. Their pastor stopped by as well so it was a great evening of talking about my bike journey, UFCCH and ministry in general. It was a good night.
Now it's time to get some rest before Day 56 of the Go the Distance journey. It's exciting and weird that tomorrow is the final day of the ride. This project was set in motion 2 years ago and it seemed like forever before we finally started riding. Then when we did it seemed as though it would be forever to make it back to Florida (if it was even possible) and now it is the night before the last day of riding. It is so hard to believe but as with all great journeys, they come to an a stopping point at some time.


Tomorrow I will leave Live Oak early and pace myself to be at Harvest Christian Church by 3pm for a Welcome Home shindig. I look forward to this only because it will allow me to thank many people in person for diligently lifting me up in prayer or dropping me a note from time to time or giving me an encouraging phone call. Without all the prayers, notes and calls this trip would have been impossible. I know for sure that on my very tough days it was those prayers, notes and calls that kept me going instead of quitting.


Therefore, to GOD be the GLORY! See you tomorrow or soon. Keep praying till I arrive at Harvest CC then home.


His,

bob g

STATS - Mileage Today 81, Pace 15, Riding Time 5:30
Total GTD cumulative miles: 3,435