Thursday, June 19, 2008

Day 46: Iuka to Columbus, MS











Day 46 I got up and going today because of the potential for an Ironman distance (112 mile) ride. The flat ride my new friends talked about didn't materialize till after arriving in Fulton. Fulton was about 43 miles down the road so I stopped in Belmont for a cold drink. It wasn't hot but there was a small amount of humidity that kept me sweating.

Kandi works at the convenience store in Belmont. She asked all about my ride and why. When she found out what it was for, she wanted to donate toward the ride but I was one day early, she gets paid tomorrow. I told her a daily prayer would be worth a lot so she said she would do that. While in the store I met a tall young man who was wearing a golf shirt. I asked him if he golfed. He said not really but he was related to PGA golfer David Toms. Very cool I said. Robert was there as well and he shared with me all his biking exploits from his kid years. I had a great time with these folks but I needed to get going toward Fulton.

Just before Fulton the road went to a four lane and it was nice. I was making good time through that section. I came upon a sign for Fulton. I had to turn right off the four lane on to a hilly two lane road. I went for a couple of miles and stopped to ask how much farther and was I going out of the way. A nice man said I had to "fall off the next hill" and then turn left at the light. After a mile I would see eating places and be right where I need to be. I was relieved because the hills I would have to back track over were big. I stopped at McDonalds and met Ricky. He was from down the road but was going to the Community College for Respiratory Therapy. His wife is a nurse and they have two kids. His sister and her husband do mission work in China. We had a great visit.

After McDonalds I had to head toward Amory then on to Aberdeen. In Aberdeen I would make the decision to stay there or go on to Columbus. I stopped in Amory to fill my Camelbak up with ice. I met a young man who just got out of jail. He had been there for two days and nights. I encouraged him to make right decisions so he could enjoy what life has to offer and not go back there. He nodded. He asked for a dollar for something to drink. I gave him one. Later I got some popcorn chicken and ate some and then offered him the rest. He took them and ate them up. Before I was leaving Elton hollered over to me, "how far you going?" I went over to where he was pumping his gas and talked with him about where I was going, where I had come from and why. He said, "so you're a Man of God." I said by God's Grace YES. After that we had some good Man of God talk. Elton was cool to talk with. He was on his way to his daughters softball game so I encouraged him to be a Man of God for her.

Since Fulton the ride had been fairly flat so I was making good time with little stress on the legs. When I got to the road that went to Columbus I decided to keep going instead of riding into Aberdeen. For the next 25 miles I put on some music to help the time pass. I listened to some Audio Adrenaline and Code of Ethics. With good terrain, good road, good temperatures and good music I made it to Columbus in good time. As I approached Columbus I began to hear and see planes.

I stopped to take a picture of the Columbus Air Force Base sign. After that my mission was to find the RV Park I would be camping at. It was just down the road at the third stop light. I had to turn left and go a mile and a half. I found the Park and site number 15. After checking it out I went to the store next to the Park. I asked about eating places close by. The girls pointed across the street to a Plaza and said that a Subway was there. I thanked them and headed that way.

A few doors down from Subway was Beans and Cream. I suspected that it was a coffee and ice cream shop. It was and it was good. I had a frozen white mocha and a taste of some chocolate covered cherries whip cream. Yummy! The lady and girl who were working were super nice and interested in my ride. The lady had gone to the Women's College in Columbus and was involved with the Baptist Student Union. Through BSU she was able to do some mission work. We had a good talk. They closed at 8pm so I went next door to Subway which was open till 9pm. By this time I was getting a bit hungry so I got a six inch roast beef and pepper jack. Delicious! I charged my phone and worked on my receipts till they closed.

I returned to my site and set up camp. I didn't do much else because I was tired. I was glad that I rode the 111 miles to Columbus and I was on schedule. Tomorrow I am to cross over into Alabama and go to Epes. I am looking forward to riding in another State and getting closer and closer to Gainesville.

As always, your prayers are appreciated!

bob g

STATS - Mileage Today 111, Pace 14, Riding Time 7:51
Total GTD cumulative miles: 2,767