Saturday, June 14, 2008

Day 41: Marble Hill, MO to Vienna, ILLINOIS





















Day 41 Today I started the day with three scrambled eggs and orange juice at the hotel restaurant. I then pedaled to the store to fill my Camelbak with ice. With the temperatures climbing cool fluids are important. The ride from Marble Hill to Jackson was up and down. Once I got to Jackson I checked my phone GPS to see if there was a McDonald's.

There was up the road so I pedaled on. When I pulled into the parking lot a girl said to me " you ride fast". She had seen me and my Gator flag before I got into Jackson and now I was there. She use to live in Jacksonville, FL and loves the Gators. After an iced coffee I was ready to get to Cape Girardeau and then into Illinois.

As I rode through the Cape as the locals say, I saw three different car washes. Of course each one said they would wash my bike. Just before I was to turn left to cross over the Mississippi River into Illinois I saw a guy biking north. I waived and continued on. A few minutes later I realized that he had turned around and was now coming up next to me.

His name was Greg. He is a local who was out for a ride. He asked about my ride as we rode on. He then said the next light is where we needed to turn left so we got over in the turn lane. He said he had some time so he would ride with me across the river. We stopped to take Mississippi River pictures and then Welcome to Illinois pictures. We talked a bit about the flood waters that covered the fields to the east of the Mississippi. He said that the Cape had closed its flood gates. A few minutes later Greg said he needed to head back. I thanked him for riding with me and gave him my blog address.

The rest of today's ride was in the country till Vienna. That was nice but the cool thing was the people I met along the way, close animal encounters and God's amazing provision. Three miles before Karnak, IL I stopped for a cold drink. That's when I met Heather and Virginia. They had stopped for some snacks. They asked about my ride and then I asked them about the camping in Karnak. They said it was non existent but Heather offered me space in her yard to camp. It still was early and I felt good so I asked them about other options.

They said Vienna wasn't far but they weren't sure about camping. Virginia drew me a map of the most direct route. Before leaving Heather said she would have my name added to their prayer list at church. I let her know I appreciated that. I then went in to get a cold drink. There I met Chris who plays in a Christian rock band. They are getting ready to record in Nashville. We exchanged information. I also met Mary who will be 85 years young in August. She is a sweet lady who loves the Lord.

It was time to pedal so I followed Virginia's directions to Vienna. For a short bit I rode on the Tunnel State Trail which is a hard packed cinder trail. It was a beautiful ride. After a while I got off the trail and on to the road. About a mile before I was to make a left turn to go into Vienna I noticed a deer running in the field to my right. Nice I thought. Then, as I watched him more, I thought he might just come my way. He did! I was watching him closely so as I saw him heading toward the road I slowed down. Good thing I did because he flew across the road about ten feet in front of me. Too close!

As I got to Vienna I searched for a place to pitch my tent. The state park was too far so I headed east toward I-24 where there was a couple of hotels. I went into the first one and the price was too much for me. I explained the purpose of my ride. She called the hotel on the east side of the interstate to see if they had a room. Their rates were a bit cheaper. They did have a room so she told Kathy I would be riding over.

I got to The Gambit Hotel and met Kathy. As I filled out the info card I was telling her about my ride and the purpose of it. I gave her my credit card and before she ran it she gave it back to me and said I was riding for a good reason so she was going to comp my room (free kingsize bed). I was overwhelmed and thankful. I told her I wanted to give her my card with my blog address but I would do that after I got cleaned up and before I went to McDonald's to get a bite to eat. She said to wait a minute.

She got on the phone and called Theresa who, along with her husband, own the Gambit Inn as well as The Gambit Steakhouse. Kathy got off the phone and said that my dinner at the Steakhouse would be comped (free steak dinner) as well. Another blessing! I thanked Kathy for caring about my ride. God is so AMAZING ! \o/

I got cleaned up and headed over to the Steakhouse. I immediately met Theresa and thanked her for this blessing. She was very gracious and showed me to a table. The restaurant was very nice inside. Theresa suggested what steak I should get so I said okay. The whole meal was awesome! If you are ever near Vienna, IL stop and stay at the Gambit Inn and eat at the Gambit Steakhouse. If you golf you can play 18 on the Gambit Golf course. Tell Theresa I sent you.

What a blessed day! Tomorrow, I hope to get to Great Rivers, KY. To do so I will need to put in a 100 mile ride at least. Needless to say, your prayers are appreciated!

bob g

STATS - Mileage Today 92, Pace 13, Riding Time 8:59
Total GTD cumulative miles: 2,307