Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Day 37: Joplin to Springfield, MO





Day 37 Back to pedaling! I woke up at 6:15am ready to get packed up and get back out on the road. It took awhile to organize everything once again. When I started taking stuff outside I noticed the fog, skies and the cool of the air. I got all my gear out, wrote Jeremy and Megan a thank you note and started to pedal north toward Jasper so I could get back on route. It was nice to pedal past Ozark Christian College and CIY before departing Joplin.

43 was a good road to leave on. Nice shoulder with lots of room. The turn east toward Carthage put me on a nice country road but there wasn't much of a shoulder, reminded me of my rides in the country in E. TN. When I got Carthage I stopped at McDonald's for a Southern Style Chicken Biscuit and an iced coffee. I also wanted to confirm I was on the most direct route to Jasper. The Manager confirmed that I was.

I finished and started up 71 which is a four lane with a good shoulder. By Jasper I noticed my new rear wheel had a tiny wobble. This is common with a new wheel. My map said there was a bike shop in Willard so I called the number and got the answering machine at a home. I left a message that included my number. I never got a return call so I assumed the shop was no longer open.

After Jasper I was heading east toward Everton on older but decent country roads that had names like K or A or Z. After a bit the roads began to roll and include some decent climbs. I guessed I had entered the Ozarks. By this time the wobble was a bit worse so I stopped. Several spokes had come unscrewed. I was going to try to nurse it to Everton and then figure out what to do then.

That didn't work. Four miles outside of Everton it got worse. I was out in farm country with only one AT & T bar on my cell phone. I called Celeste and then the bike shop in Joplin. Steve gave me some suggestions. One was to find a house and borrow some needle nose pliers. I had unloaded everything to try to work on the spokes so I loaded back up and began to walk.

After about a mile I saw a nice home at the top of the hill so I decided to stop. I leaned my bike against a tree and walked to the carport. I heard banging so I knew someone was home. I met Arron. He had needle nose pliers. I unloaded everything and began to work on the spokes. I got one screwed back in. I was optimistic. Then the second, third and fourth ones I worked on didn't cooperate. Arron came out to see how it was going. He helped me some but we couldn't get the spokes to screw in.

When I had talked with Steve he did suggest I try to find a ride to one of the many shops in Springfield. As Arron and I concluded that we weren't having any luck he said, "I live in Springfield and could give you a ride". I asked what he was driving and he pointed to his pickup truck. Once again God provided!

Here I was out in the country in need of bike repairs, a ride to Springfield and a pickup truck and God provided all that. Arron just happened to be working at his cousins house because it just happens to be the week of his wedding and he isn't working his usual job out of town. After I explained my situation to Arron he concluded it was meant to be. We had a nice talk on the way to the shop. He and his fiancé had had a few church issues so they didn't have a church to go to that they agreed upon. I encouraged him to get that worked out so they could begin their married life with a church home.

Arron dropped me off at "Sunshine Bikes". The young man took me to Greg. I explained my problem to him and he had a solution. A 36 spoke rim that was super sturdy. He said he would having it done that night so I could leave in the morning! I let him get to work. I then met Kay the owner. She asked if I was taken care of. I explained to her what Greg was doing for me. She wanted to know all about my ride and why. She got excited about my ride. She just happens to be a Christian. She wanted my contact info so she could send a donation. God is so good! She shared with me that the shop had belonged to her son then he passed away. She took it over and now God was providing for the shop everything it needed.

The Manager, Josh, heard my earlier conversation with Greg about having to stay over somewhere. He asked me, "do you have a tent?" I said yes. He said I could camp in his yard if I wanted. I said yes! After a while we loaded up and went to his house. I had met his daughter Annabelle at the shop. At the house I met Micah and Donnie G. (a chocolate lab). They said I could use the shower and then the computer if needed. They also told me to join them for dinner. God is so good!

Josh asked me I had anything to say before dinner so I gave thanks to God for friends who showed hospitality to strangers and for the food. The food and our time together was great. They are outdoorsy folks so we talked about biking, hiking and paddling. Then I went out and set up my tent. Before calling it a night I took pictures of Josh, Micah, Annabelle and Donnie G.
Tomorrow I will go with Josh to the shop, load up and then head north on 65 to Fair Grove. Once there I will be back on route heading east toward Marshfield. Once in Marshfield I will plan for the rest of the day knowing that ultimately my plans are subject to change if God so desires to change them.

As always, your prayers are appreciated!

bob g

STATS - Mileage Today 65, Pace 13, Riding Time 4:48
Total GTD cumulative miles: 1,980