Sunday, June 1, 2008

Day 28: Arkansas City to Cedar Vale, KS








Day 28 Once again rain and lightning woke me up. It had rained a lot in the early morning hours and it didn't look like it was going to quit. No worries though, I was going to church and then lunch before I had to make a decision about riding.

Randy came over and picked me up. We then went back to the house and picked up the rest of the crew. We stopped at Ike's Doughnuts on the way to church, very good!

At Bible Christian Church (top photo) everyone was friendly and when the Pastor was shown the Buzz column in the Christian Standard he introduced me to the congregation. That was cool. Several wanted to know more about the ride.

After church the weather cleared. Randy and James ran in to KFC and returned with a family feast. We got back to the house, blessed the meal and enjoyed good food and fellowship. Once lunch was done it was time jump to action. Jonathan and Ashley were going to help me load up and then drive me to the corner of 77 and 166. The rest of the family went to their assigned tasks as the first day of camp was just hours away.

Once everything was unloaded on the corner I had to put it all together. I started riding east at 2:30pm central time. It was warm and the ride was rolling hills. It reminded me if a mix between Clermont, FL and E. TN. It took me 2 1/2 house to go 30 miles. I was now at Cedar Vale, KS. I was hot and a bit tired so I decided to get a cold drink and ask if there was any place to stay. Just so happens that the lady who runs the store also runs a neat one room lodge next door. It is really cool.

A metal building that she use to use for storage. Since there was no other place to stay in town and people were always stopping in the store to ask about lodging she decided to remodel the inside to make it a Lodge with 5 beds a bathroom, shower, living room area, dining area, and small kitchen area (fridge and microwave). It is great at a super great price.

It's been a good night to catch up on e-mail and my blog. The signal at camp didn't allow me to do much.

The best signal here is at the picnic table in front of the store. The store closed at 9pm but several stopped by after that to see if it was still open. One of those was Dwayne. We got talking and it came up that I was involved with college ministry. This opened the door for an interesting spiritual discussion. It was enjoyable to listen to Dwayne share and then share a bit as appropriate. After 20 minutes we exchanged "God bless you's" and he left.

I now am finishing up this post and going to bed.

Tomorrow's plan is to head to Coffeyville early and then make destination decisions along the way. I want to arrive in Joplin, MO on Tuesday afternoon so that will serve as my guide for where I go after Coffeyville.

As always, prayers appreciated!

bob g

STATS - Mileage Today 30, Pace 13, Riding Time 2:22
Total GTD cumulative miles: 1,765