Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Day 45: Perryville, TN to Iuka, MISSISSIPPI








Day 45 I must have been tired from the 100 miles of pedaling because I slept all through the night. The birds were singing with all their might. I got cleaned up, packed up and boiled some water for oatmeal and coffee.

The ride to Burnsville was foggy so I turned on all my flashers to be safe. The ride was up and down but good. When I got to Burnsville I stopped to fill my Camelbak with ice. Two locals began to talk with me about my ride and route. They suggested I take main roads across the Tennessee River down to Savannah, TN.

One of the guys had to head off to work but James stayed. He and I talked more about my ride and then quite a bit about sports. James knows his sports. As I was starting to get my stuff together to leave James said he wanted to give me $20 for my trip. I was blown away. He was such a nice man to talk with. He said he was a disabled Vet from the Korean war. Not totally though because I could tell he had some talents when it came to repairing certain types of machines.

The route they suggested was a really nice ride but it had quite a few challenging climbs. Crossing the Tennessee River was beautiful. It has been fun to cross the Mississippi, Ohio, Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers over the past few days. The bridges (and ferry) have been good. I turned right for the last 5 miles into Savannah. I spotted a Wal*Mart as I was going into town so I stopped for some more Propel powder. I also took some time to look at my maps so I determine the best route to Fulton, MISSISSIPPI.

I decided to head toward Crump and get back on route. This took me to Shiloh and lots of Civil War history. From there I was to hit back roads for awhile. I started down Bark Dr. and encountered a few dogs (go figure). The bad road and dogs convinced me to return to the main road. I rode it to the end and turned left. Within two miles I would turn right on Damon Rd. and be back on route. The road was country and narrow but good. The only problem was the number of dog encounters. At one point I stopped, got off and grabbed a stick. The dog didn't want to mess with me.

At some point on this road I entered into Mississippi. The road ended and put me back on a main road. This lasted only for a few miles. To get to Burnsville the route put me on a bumpy country road that included more dogs. The first 100 yards on this road was very steep. It was barren at the top. After a bit I began to see some houses. Not totally convinced I was on the right I stopped and asked. I was to my surprise. I pressed on this bumpy road with dogs. I stopped a couple of more times to let a dog know that I was mad at their advances and was not going to take it any more. I triumphed over the dogs! \o/

I finally got back on a main road that took me to Burnsville. At this point it was getting late in the day. I stopped to get a drink and local info. There wasn't any place to camp in Burnsville but Three Sisters Restaurant was local and good. I decided it was a good time to eat make a decision to find some place to pitch my tent or continue on. I decided to continue on till I found a place to stay.

I decided to stick with the main road which was more direct. When I got to Iuka, MS the Victorian Inn advertised a decent price. I checked to see if they had a room. They did so I got checked in. I then called Celeste and mom to give them an update. The Inn had Wi-Fi (internet) so I have been able to catch up on my blog.

Tomorrow I will continue on main roads to Columbus, MS. Some nice folks staying at the Inn said it should be a flat ride. They were interested and excited about my ride. The ride to Columbus should be close to Ironman distance which is 112 miles. The road, terrain and temperatures should be good so I am excited.

I appreciate your prayers!

bob g

STATS - Mileage Today 90, Pace 13, Riding Time 6:46
Total GTD cumulative miles: 2,656