Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Day 51: Daphne, AL to Pensacola, FLORIDA






Day 51 It's always fun to begin riding again after a rest day. Whether it has been one day or more it seems like it takes a bit to get going again and get everything in sync. Until that time I always wonder, "wasn't that rest day suppose to refresh me?" "If so, how come my legs seem to be asleep?". After those thoughts and then analyzing how the bike feels, how it is shifting and how the trailer is pulling it all seems to come together and then I begin to focus on the next checkpoint.

Today that next checkpoint was the hour mark. At that time I would take a moment to call Celeste and let her know I was making my way to Gulf Shores and the OCEAN ! After that it was working my way over to Highway 59 which would take me straight to the beach. I rode country roads for awhile and then decided to turn east so I could get on 59. The morning traffic on the country roads was a bit more than I expected so I figured I would head east toward 59 and not stress out any more drivers who had to work their way around me.

I got to 59 and turned south. After my bike computer struck three hours I was in Gulf Shores with my feet in the Gulf. How awesome!

I didn't want to stay too long because I wanted to get to the Florida line and Pensacola. Crossing into FLORIDA was exciting! I had been gone from my home State since May 3rd. That is a very long time for me. It was really hot so I stopped to get a cold drink. While inside the store Julie Peine left me a voice message welcoming me back into Florida and wondering what time I would arrive at Harvest Christian Church on Sunday. I called her back to thank her for the call and tell her I would arrive at 3pm on Sunday, June 29th to see all.

Now it was time to push to Pensacola and Gulf Shores Christian Church so I could meet up with Andy. After awhile the heat encouraged me to stop at Sonic. There I met a really nice family who was enjoying lunch and interested in my ride. We talked a bit and then I got in line to order. That was taking longer than I had anticipated so I went across the street to the Tom Thumb convenience store.

There I met a young man who grew up in Orlando and went to Colonial High School. A couple of years ago he decided to get out of Orlando and move to Pensacola. He enjoyed working at the store. After hearing about my ride he said for me to go back in for a free refill since it was a fundraising ride. We talked a few more minutes then I said I had to go. He said be safe and shared with me a better way to get to Pace St. I took his suggestion and headed north on 173.The miles seemed more than my GPS indicated but I'm not sure if that truly was the case. The fact that it was hot and there was lots of traffic could have made the ride seem longer than I anticipate. It was fun though to follow my GPS directions and go from 173 to N. Pace to another street that starts with a P to Brent to Davis to Burgess.

There I would find Gulf Coast Christian Church and Senior Minister, Andy ! And I did!
I came into the church and Andy welcomed me. He was just voted in this past Sunday as GCCC's new Senior Minister so he was transitioning into his new office. That stopped once I arrived because we began to talk about the trip and check out the blog. After a bit I moved my bike and trailer in, grabbed the stuff I would need for the night and then headed to the beach to meet up with Camille, his wife and son, Eli for dinner.

Along the way Andy showed me a cool new housing project that was built between the Gulf and downtown. Very neat. Then we beelined it for the beach. Once there I took advantage of the outdoor showers to get cleaned up. That felt great! I got changed in the bathroom and then we walked out on the Pier.

There was awesome fishing action going on. We saw all kinds of bait fishing being pulled up three at a time. At the end of the Pier there were a bunch of people fishing for the big fish. We saw shark and dolphins come to the surface as the fish bait was moving across the water. It was frantic but cool.

After the Pier we went Bayside to meet up with Camille and Eli. We then decided to go to "Crab's" to eat. Great decision Camille and Andy! We ate out on the deck, very nice. The food was really good and we ended up with more than we could eat. Oh, I don't want to forget to mention that the sweet tea was great, it is so great to be back in the south!

After dinner we went back to the house to visit and watch a bit of tv. Before going to bed Eli walked around the living room a bit as he held on to Andy's hand. He seemed to like this form of getting around the house. Now that I am finishing up this post I will be going to bed.

Tomorrow I have a short ride on 90 to Crestview. There I will meet up with the Walker's and spend the night. I am looking forward to my visit with them before heading to Panama City on Thursday.

As always, I covet your prayers!

bob g

STATS - Mileage Today 80, Pace 15, Riding Time 5:21
Total GTD cumulative miles: 3,103