Monday, May 12, 2008

Day 8: Hatch to Escalante, UT






















Day 8 Today I knew from Hatch, UT to Escalante, UT I would have two good climbs followed by two good downhills PTL! \o/ Before starting though I had to patch the tube for my Bob Trailer tire. It had a small leak that wasn't found out till I was ready to head out.


From Hatch to UT Hwy 12 it was downhill but cool and windy. The right turn on 12 that would take me up through Red Canyon was a slight uphill. Not bad. As you enter Red Canyon there is a biking and walking trail you can use to avoid traffic. It's a great trail that goes uphill till you climb out of Red Canyon. Climb one accomplished! After the trail ended I got back out on the road and began a slight descent which later turned into a greater descent that turned the trip to Tropic, UT a pretty quick one.


I got to Tropic by 11:30am, only 38 more miles to Escalante! I took an hour and a half to drink a gas station cappuchino, eat a snack and take care of internet business. Toward the end of the hour and a half the sky became more overcast and the wind picked up.


I decided it was time to head to Escalante. I was pleased that the downhill continued through Cannonville into Henrieville. I stopped at the tiny Henrieville Post Office to send some mail to Celeste. The cute little old lady who ran the P.O. was very nice and helpful.


The next 20 miles were a challenge. I climbed for a bit then had a short time of flat and downhill. Both the flat and downhill were work because of the strong wind. Then began climb two in earnest. Oh, before climb two began I saw a car stop up ahead of me. Oftentimes cars stop and people jump out to take pictures of the awesome landscape. Not this time. A lady (Bren) got out and walked toward me. I knew she wanted to talk so I slowed to a stop. She told me that she and her husband were taking turns riding 30 mile segments due to an injury she sustained late last year and that her husband wasn't too far behind me. I shared with her what I was doing and set off.


A while later after climbing for a bit I took a break on a flat spot to eat some dried fruit. I looked back and spotted a biker. It was Jim. I waited on him and then we rode and talked. Very nice guy. When we hit the next climb he went ahead. He was riding without gear so he was quicker on the climb. NOW climb two began in earnest with all it fury. It was as steep as "The Climb" though not as long. Toward the end of it though I had to pull out the running shoes once again and push for about a half of a mile. Then, the summit! From this point to Escalante it would be mostly downhill. Once again the wind was blowing strong so it turned a fast downhill into a slightly fast downhill. Not bad, just cold! I finally could spot Escalante and continued to pray that there would be a place to pitch my tent.


When I pulled into Escalante Outfitters I saw tiny cabins that were only $45. With the wind picking up and the temperature dropping and the forecast for some rain I prayed that there would be a cabin available (Bren had told me they had to stay in Torrey tonight because there was nothing available in Escalante). As I approached the front counter I asked if there was a cabin available and the young man said YES! He only had two left, both with bunk beds. I said fine.


I got settled in and headed back over for some pizza and Root beer. The small dining room was full so Dave and I split a table. We had a nice chat. He is from Wyoming. An outdoorsy guy who is traveling around. He was very interested in my ride and why I am doing it. He said I would be in his thoughts.


After dinner and an amazing warm shower I came back over to take care of all my internet business on one of their two desktops. Now that I am done with Day 8 I am taking my Raspberry Mocha back to the cabin to read a bit before heading off to sleep.
Tomorrow I head to Torrey. I have one major climb that goes up over 9000 feet.

As always, prayers appreciated!

bob g

STATS: Mileage Today 68, Pace 12, Riding Time 5:30
Total GTD cumulative miles: 504