Saturday, May 10, 2008

Day 6: Kanab to Cedar City, UT



Day 6 would be a day of adjustments. It was the first day riding solo and the day to try to make up some ground. It started out great with a slight upgrade through the Coral Pink sand dunes. Then I had a great downgrade to Mt. Carmel Junction. There I stopped for some hot coffee (it was a chilly descent). Next was the climb to Zion National Park and the amazing ride through it. Definitely a highlight.

After Zion, I stopped & ate lunch at a convenience store just outside of Zion. PB&J on a hotdog bun. I also had a cold diet Pepsi, tasted so good in the heat!

Next was a nice ride to La Verkin, UT. There I stopped for a cold drink. I got to chat with an older gentleman about long distance riding. At this point (60 miles) I felt good. Only 38 to Cedar City! Only problem, all uphill. I climbed out of La Verkin and Toquerville to I-15 and then began the climb to Cedar City. By exit 42 I was spent. I had ridden 86 miles and the prospects of at least 17 more uphill miles wasn't appealing. I stopped to get something to eat and drink at a Texaco. A gentleman in a truck stopped to go into the store. When he came out I asked him if I could pay him to take me to Cedar City. He said, "hop in". I said, Praise the Lord (PTL)!

His name was Ron and he had been down checking his apple orchards and now was heading back home to Cedar City. I told him he was a Godsend and he said he was sent to give me a ride. Ron and I talked about life and family all the way to the Quality Inn. It felt so good to get moved in, get cleaned up and get a Chicken Ranch Snack Wrap at McDonalds.

Tomorrow is to be "The Climb 2", I wasn't sure if I was going to take it on or take a rest day. We'll see tomorrow.

As always, prayers appreciated!

bob g

STATS - Mileage Today 86, Pace 10, Riding Time 8:30
Total GTD cumulative miles: 380