Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Day 16: Sawpit to Cimarron, CO



Day 16 started out with a chilly ride out of Sawpit into Placerville. At that point I made the right turn to begin climbing the Dallas Divide. Rough! I was struggling so bad that I was sure my brakes were dragging or something with my trailer was pulling me backwards. I stopped and checked, nothing wrong, just struggling.

I thought, this is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it? Why when I am struggling so bad should I rejoice? Then I looked around. I could rejoice because I was going so slow in one of the most beautiful places I had ridden thus far. I could rejoice because I wasn't going so fast that I missed out on seeing the deer cross the road ahead of me. I could rejoice because God gave me another day to live and ride.

I finally got up the Divide and rode down to Ridgway, CO. I stopped for a Mountain Dew and snacked on a Snickers from the day before.

I started to ride to Montrose, CO and it was downhill and flat all the way. I could tell that my legs were doing much better. I arrived in Montrose and found Starbucks. I got a gentI iced brewed coffee. I read for a bit and took care of e-mail. The kind Starbucks girl gave me a free refill!

I stopped at KFC for a snack wrap and veggie then set my sights toward Cimarron, CO. To get there I would have to climb Cerro Summit which is a four mile climb. The terrain and wind made it slow going on the way to Cerro. Then, the climb began. What a grind! I was pleased that I climbed the four miles in just over forty five minutes. I was also pleased that the Lord diverted a storm that was threatening me half way up. The feeling of reaching the top is awesome because of the accomplishment and what is to come, the descent! It was fast down to Cimarron.

I found a store then the campground. Before finding my campsite I went to the payphone to let Celeste and mom know that I had arrived safely. Just as I got to the phone another biker rolled in. It was John from Vale, CO. He was heading to Flagstaff so he was glad to pick my brain re: what was ahead of him.

We talked for a bit. He thought it was cool I gave sermons and did weddings. He's into snowboarding and bike riding. We had a good time talking and listening to his battery operated radio. It started to get dark and cold so we said goodnight.

Tomorrow I have the Blue Mesa Summit to climb before descending into Gunnison, CO where I will eat lunch and replenish food and fluid supplies before heading on to Sargents, CO where I will camp and dream about the upcoming climb up Monarch Pass which is up over 11,000 feet!

More than ever, prayers appreciated!

bob g

STATS - Mileage Today 73, Pace 11, Riding Time 6:38
Total GTD cumulative miles: 986