Friday, May 9, 2008

Day 5: Jacob Lake, AZ to Kanab, UTAH





Day 5's ride started early (7am) and it was chilly. It was to be mostly downhill into Fredonia, AZ and then flat into Kenab, UTAH. It was, for the most part. Before we got off the mountain there were several downs followed by ups. This was an early test to see how our legs recovered overnight from "the climb". I was feeling pretty good but Brad indicated that his legs hadn't recovered. I figured once we got to the continuous descent into Fredonia and then pedaled into Utah he would be fine.

As we finished our exciting and breath taking descent into Fredonia and then pedaled through the small town I could tell the flats weren't much better for Brad. After leaving Fredonia just before entering Utah Brad indicated that Kenab would be the end of his ride. I totally understood.

What to do? After taking pictures at the Welcome to Utah sign we pedaled into Kenab. I at first thought I would hang out in Kenab through lunch and then head on toward Hurricane, UT. After talking with Brad and thinking about it a bit more I decided to go ahead and stay the day and night in Kenab.

What a great day! After soaking our legs in the hot tub we ventured over to Lotsa Motsa Pasta for their $4.99 Pizza and Salad buffet. What a great deal! After that we walked around the town of Kenab and took in the sights. We spent some time at the Office of Tourism and Film Commission, I didn't realize so much film history was tied to Kenab. We finished out the day with dinner at Big Al's Burgers. Big Al had a chocolate marshmallow shake that was rockin'!

The evening allowed me to do laundry and re-pack my stuff now that I would be using the saddle bags that Brad had carried up to this point.

Today is going to be an exciting day as I push toward Cedar City, UT. I have some climbing to do but it will be beautiful as I enter Zion National Park.

One State down, TEN to go...

As always, prayers appreciated!

bob g

STATS - Mileage Today 37, Pace 13, Riding Time 2:45
Total GTD cumulative Miles: 294