Monday, May 19, 2008

Day 15: Stoner to Sawpit, CO


Day 15 Today I started riding at 6:45am. It was chilly! The ride along the Dolores River was great. The climb was gradual but I knew that would change the closer I got to Lizard Head Pass. There was some amazing scenery along the way. Waterfalls. Snow covered mountains. Ten miles from Stoner was another campground which was not so primitive. I stopped there to use the pay phone so I could give Celeste her morning call.

The final small town before Lizard Head is Rico. What a great small town! They have an amazing Coffee house that has high speed internet. I took some time to catch up on internet business. When done I knew it was time to tackle Lizard Head.

The grade of the climb increased but it didn't get really steep till 1 mile from the top. I pushed up and was relieved to reach the summit at 10,222 feet above sea level. I cruised the plateau, took a few pictures and got ready for the descent to Telluride. Unfortunately that descent was interrupted by one short climb and two longer climbs. I think the two longer climbs were more draining mentally because I was anticipating a nice ride down the mountain.

Just before the final steep two mile descent I got phone service so I took an amazing picture of this snow covered mountain in front of me. I then e-mailed it to Celeste and called her to let her know it was coming. She received it during our conversation and was amazed at the mountain that I was looking at that very moment.

Celeste told me that Jill from the Gainesville Sun (our local newspaper) had called her and that it was a good time for me to call Jill so she could ask me some questions about the journey. I got in touch with Jill and had a good time sharing with her about the journey.

Now it was time for the final steep two mile descent. It was the steepest yet! I used my brakes quite a bit all the way down. At the bottom was lunch! I had a salad and piece of pizza. I also spent time studying my map and charging my phone.

As I started toward Sawpit, CO I could tell that all the climbing done that day had taken a toll on my legs. If I didn't stop in Sawpit I would be forced to ride another 20-30 miles before reaching Ridgway, CO. With the wind picking up and the temperature climbing I decided it would be best to stop at the Blue Jay Motel in Sawpit.

Tomorrow I will set out early for Cimarron, CO.

Thanks for your continued notes of encouragement and prayers!

bob g

STATS - Mileage 56, Pace 10, Riding Time 5:28
Total GTD cumulative miles: 913