Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Day 24: Garden City to Dodge City, KS


























































Day 24
The rest day was great! Celeste sent me a goodie box which was fun. I got alot accomplished re: I was able to clean my bike and trailer and get to the bike shop for a few supplies. Dinner with the Bobs, Clark and Brenda was great. After dinner it was time to pack up and get to bed early.

Today came early. Bob, Brenda and I went to breakfast after Brenda got home from working the night shift at the hospital. It was great to have that time with them before I began pedaling to Dodge City, KS.

After breakfast I hooked up my trailer, strapped down the Bob bag, sleeping bag and spare tire and attached my saddle bags. Bob, Brenda and I had prayer together then I pedaled off.

The morning was overcast, a little cool with a slight mist in the air. Not bad. On the way out of town I got to see & smell one of many Stockyards in Kansas. They are so prevalent and large that there is a scenic overlook on Highway 50 devoted to looking at thousands of cows. Quite different from the scenic overlooks out west!

When a rest stop came up I pulled in hoping for something warm to drink. Nothing. I decided to get my warm gloves out of my Bob bag and snack on a granola bar that Celeste sent me. I resumed riding and the mist quit. When I arrived in Cimarron I got something warm to drink! I also indulged in some Fig Newtons.

At this point I wasn't too far out of Dodge City so when the sign for the historical Santa Fe Trail Tracks appeared I pulled over to check them out. It was amazing to read the historical markers and look across the plains imagining what it was like. Though the highway is no super interstate it sure beats traveling over rugged, muddy, rutted out tracks across the plains.

I finished there and began the ride into Dodge City. I stopped to take a picture of an awesome Dodge City sign and then as I got back on my bike a light rain began to fall. It rained all the way into the city so once I got to a place in the city to duck out of the rain I did. I took time to check the weather. It was suppose to be a partly sunny afternoon.

Fortunately a short time later the rain quit and it did become partly sunny. I rode through a bit of the historic area and then set off to find the Campground I would be staying at. As I rode down Cherry Street toward the Campground I saw Bob Bates on his motorcycle. His son Clark had brought him to Dodge to pick it up. Bob said they were heading to Montana Mike's for lunch. I said I would meet them there.

We had a great lunch then they left for Garden City and I headed to the Campground. I got a nice spot on the lake! I laid my air pad on the grass and took time to check e-mail, talk with Celeste and write this blog message. Now it's 8:14 pm and the sun is heading down so I'm going to take some time to read and charge my phone before crawling into my tent for the night.

Tomorrow I head toward Pratt, KS. Somewhere along the way I hope to cross paths with Scott Cain, Marvin Tallent and Michael Stephens. They began their ride several weeks ago in St. Augustine and will conclude in Oregon. They are raising funds for Lake Aurora Christian Camp. It will be great to see them.

As always, prayers appreciated!

bob g

STATS - Mileage Today 56, Pace 12, Riding Time 4:30
Total GTD cumulative miles: 1,498