Friday, May 23, 2008

Day 19: Monarch MT to Westcliffe, CO











Day 19 I awoke to snow covered cars this morning. The manager told me that the roads were good going down to Salida though it was misting there.

I set out at 6:50am and soon encountered sleet that turned to rain the lower I got. When I got to Salida I stopped for a warm cup of coffee.

I left Salida and had a nice ride to Cotopaxi through a beautiful rock canyon and along a river. By this time I had left the rain behind and found blue skies and a headwind. I didn't even mind the headwind because I was drying and getting warm.

By Cotopaxi I was feeling good and shed my cold weather clothing. I set out for Hillside and Westcliffe. I was looking for County Road 1A. I didn't see it and there was no one to ask. I concluded that I some how had missed it and would have to keep going till I met up with CO 69. I found it a ways down the road. As soon as I made the right turn I began to go uphill into a headwind. The 11 mile ride to Hillside was the longest 11 mile ride I have ever ridden.

I arrived in Hillside and found a tiny Country Store/Post Office. I was so happy it was open! I got some lunch and chatted with a few of the locals about my ride. I said goodbye and set out, almost. The wind had picked up more, the sky was darker and it was spitting rain. I decided to go back in the store and wait a bit.

After about 20 minutes I decided I should go ahead and set out for Westcliffe. The wind went with me so my pace picked up. The rain became sleet then changed back to rain. After about 9 miles the sun showed up! As I was enjoying the sun it became overcast again. I looked up ahead and I could see where the sun was shining. I went after it! I caught up with it just before Westcliffe. When I arrived in Westcliffe I asked about a coffee shop. A store owner pointed me toward one and told me the restaurant across the street was serving free food because it was their Grand Opening. It was Mexican and it was good!

When I finished and was ready to go the weather in Westcliffe had taken a turn for the worse so I asked for lodging info. Not many options but I found Charlie who gave me deal on a room, took time to find out about my ride, spent time checking out my bike, trailer and gear and helped me move in.

I believe this will be my last cold and windy night (they are expecting wind gusts of 40mph tonight). Tomorrow I head to Pueblo, CO and beyond if all things go well.

As always, your prayers are appreciated!

bob g

STATS - Mileage Today 74, Pace 12, Riding Time 6:06
Total GTD cumulative miles: 1,156







Happy Graduation BETHANIE JO BLANKENSHIP !! \o/

Love ya,

Uncle Bob & Aunt Celeste <><*