Thursday, May 15, 2008

Day 11: Hite.Lake Powell to Blanding, UT


Day 11 I was anxious about this day but as the sun rose over Lake Powell I was reminded to cast all my cares upon the Lord for He cares for me. So that is what I did.

Why was I anxious to begin with? Because this 79 mile day was going to have lots of climbing and the way the wind had been treating me I was guessing I would have a lot of of climbing and wind. And I did! I was also a bit anxious because it would be 76 miles before there were any services of any kind. My bike issues had me a bit anxious as well.

I cast all of this on the Lord and He took care of me! Did He make it easy? No way. This was a tough day of wind and climbs that had no other option than to get to Blanding, UT and that I did.

Because of my ongoing gear trouble I must get to a bike shop soon. There are several in Moab but that is 70 miles away (not on my route) and Blanding doesn't have a place to rent a car or a bike shop. There is one in Cortez, but that is 85 miles away. I will decide what to do in the morning.

After arriving at the little Lodge that Celeste booked for me I got cleaned up and walked to the Old Timer Restaurant for soup, a burger and a baked potato. As I got there Jim and Bren were coming out. It was great to see them. They also lamented on the toughness of the day. We talked about the day to come and what the terrain would be like. I told them I would bring my map over after dinner.

We met in the lobby of their hotel and looked at maps, talked more about the day and days to come in Colorado, talked about books and talked about how our ministry folks need to pray these headwinds away. I told them I would put out that request.

It was a tough day that ended great. I am not sure about tomorrow? Trip to a bike shop? If so, how and how much? First full rest day? We'll see.

As always, your prayers are appreciated as are your notes of encouragement.

God bless!

bob g

STATS - Mileage Today 79, Pace 9, Riding Time 9:03
Total GTD cumulative miles: 737