Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Day 10: Torrey to Hite.Lake Powell, UT




Day 10 After a tough Day 9 it was great to have a beautiful, easy ride from Torrey to Hanksville, UT. Through the lush Fruita Historic District I saw fruit trees and deer feeding in the field.

The ride through the Capital Reef National Park was great as was the ride along the Fremont River. After going through tiny Caineville, UT another cyclist caught up with me and we talked for a bit. He is on a tour with 7 other "young" guys so he set out before them so he wouldn't get left behind early. A short time later I arrived in Hanksville. 47 miles in 3 hours.

I stopped at the Hollow Mountain store for some snacks and to fix the slow leak in my Bob Trailer tire. Upon further investigation I found a tiny thorn in the tire. Once that was fixed it was decision time. Stay or go on for another 50 miles? The terrain was to remain flat to downhill for the most part so I decided to go on after making sure I had enough food and fluid for the day and night.

Ninety five percent of the ride to the Hite Recreational Area at Lake Powell was flat to downhill but that last five percent getting to Hite - Lake Powell was challenging. I arrived at Hite - Lake Powell, made a few phone calls, picked out a camping site, met Serg & Lies from Montreal ate dinner, set up my tent and settled in for the night. The night was super windy. I thought if I were not in my tent the wind would pick it up and blow it away. I read for a bit then finally fell off to sleep.

Tomorrow I have a tough ride to Blanding, UT that is without services for 76 miles.

As always, prayers appreciated!

bob g

STATS - Mileage Today 97, Pace 13, Riding Time 7:30
Total GTD cumulative miles: 658