Friday, May 16, 2008

Day 12: Blanding, UT to Dove Creek, COLORADO



Day 12 started with a bit of uncertainty. Can I get a ride to the closest bike shop? Can I afford a ride to the closest bike shop? Will this be my first day of no riding? Will I get my laundry done? Wasn't sure but I started checking my options.

A local shuttle operator said it would be $140. to be shuttled to the closest bike shop, if he had a driver. I wasn't enthused about that so I thought about my gear trouble and what could be done to nurse it to Cortez.
I finally concluded that I would take my front derailleur off and switch chain rings manually. It made sense to me so I went with it.

Before leaving I decided to run over to the store and get some coffee. That's when I met Bryce. He was biking all around Utah. He even carried ski's with him so when he got to the slopes he could put in a run. Interesting.

We talked about our trips and why and then I asked him if he was all good. He said he had two flats the night before so he was a bit nervous because he was down to one tube. I told him I had an extra one he could have. I gave him the tube and asked where he was headed that day. He said Hite. I said, you're heading the wrong way, I just came from Hite the day before. He said it was great he ran into me. I have been blessed by so many I was glad to be a blessing to Bryce.


It was time to go. Where? I was just going to take it one town at a time. The climb out of Blanding was more than I expected, plus there was, you guessed it, a head wind. Two and a half hours later I was in Monticello at the Shell station which was home to Taco Time. I had a burrito and bought some dinner and breakfast supplies. I looked at my map and decided that Dove Creek COLORADO was doable. Finally rolling terrain and a tailwind!


I was rolling right along when I saw a loaded down biker coming my way. His name was Matt and he was from Canada. He was on a self awareness ride and had been out for five weeks. I asked him about the route ahead. He advised me to read and take one Colorado climb at a time. He shared about waking up with a foot of snow on his tent.

He shared about all the push times he had getting up "Monarch's Pass".

He shared about all the great city parks in Kansas he camped at. I was glad for the info and shared with him what he had to come. We shared God bless you with each other and continued on our way. Getting to Dove Creek was uneventful, but finding a campground was. The lady at the store said the city park was cool but since it was Friday night kids may be hanging out late.

I went to scout it out and on the way I saw a nice grassy spot in between a church and their parsonage. I knocked on the door to see if pitching my tent there would be ok. No answer. I went across the street to a small park and read for a bit hoping they would come home. They didn't. I went back to the store for a personal pan pizza and to charge my phone. I was hoping they would be home when I finished. They weren't. It was time to make a decision so I chose to set up my tent and leave my business card on their door with a note on it.

I read for a bit and fell off to sleep. They never came home. Birds sang to me until it got dark.
As always, your prayers are appreciated!

bob g

2 States down, 9 to go go go !! \o/

STATS - Mileage Today 48, Pace 10, Riding Time 4:45
Total GTD cumulative miles: 785