Monday, May 26, 2008

Day 22: Lamar,CO to Garden City, KANSAS











Day 22 Today was the opposite of yesterday. I knew I needed to get up early and move quick so I could make an early dent in what was going to be my second 100+ mile ride in three days. I also wanted to get some good miles in before the wind and heat set in. I decided to skip breakfast at camp and started off to the town of Lamar. From what I understood it was big enough to have a McDonald's. I knew I could get a Southern Style Chicken Biscuit and Iced Coffee for $3-$4. I did and they were good. I ate quick so I could get going.

During the early morning (I began at 6:30am) it was overcast, a bit cool and little wind. I was averaging 15.5 for the first few hours. Then I hit KANSAS! At that point the sky was clearing, the sun was coming out, the wind was picking up and the flat land of southeastern Colorado was becoming the rolling hills of southwestern Kansas.

I rode into Syracuse, KS and called Bob Bates in Garden City, KS. He told me that their video man from Bible Christian Church was going to be up the road at the point where I would enter the Central Time Zone in Kendall. There he would get video footage of me riding and then a brief trip interview. I didn't know that Bob was going to be there but he was. How cool! I also got to meet some other awesome folks. Bob interviewed me. I got to chat with the folks about my journey. They had prayer for me, then I pedaled off for Garden City. Only 43 more miles to go, piece of cake right? NO! The last 43 miles were a matter of perseverance.

The cross wind coming out of the north knocked my pace down to 10-11 mph. I held this all the way to Lakin, KS. There I knew I would have to stop and get something of substance to eat. As I rode through Lakin I spotted a Subway! I actually had thought/prayed that the town would have a Subway so I was super pleased to see that big Subway sign in the sky. I came out of the wind to meet Rigo. This very nice young man made me an awesome foot long roast beef and pepperjack sandwich. As I ate we got to talk. He and his family are involved in the Assembly of God church. Rigo was real interested in my ride. We talked about it and then I gave him my blog address. Maggie came in before I departed so I took a picture of them and told them to check out the blog tomorrow.

As I headed out of Lakin I noticed two things. One, the wind had picked up drastically and it was more in my face. Two, it was only 24 miles to Garden City. As I pedaled into the wind I was only pushing 6-7mph. I did the math. 24 miles at 6-7mph meant that I was going to be on the road in the wind for quite awhile more. Not the thought I wanted. I never did like math. Nonetheless I had to pedal on to Garden City for that is where my friends are. The wind kept changing as did the terrain so I did pick it up a bit for a bit then back down to 6-7mph. This did help the first 10 of 24 to go by at a decent rate of time. The next 14 were a going to be a grind!

It was until this big sweeping turn on Highway 50. That seemed to put the wind a bit more in my favor. My pace picked up a bit and that please me, especially with the way the skies looked to the south. I pushed on and got to Holcomb. There another friend named Bob met me in his vehicle to see how I was doing. I told him I was ok. He informed me that the road I just passed would be a bit quicker into Garden City. I gladly turned around and took it. For one mile I was riding south with the wind and pushing 20mph. After that mile I turned back east and into the wind. I relaxed and pedaled. After awhile I called my host Bob Bates to find out how to get to his house. He said to continue on and the other Bob would meet me at the park and I could follow him to the house. It went down just like that and the next thing I knew I was pulling up in Bob's driveway PTL! \o/ What a day, 109 miles.

Tonight was great. Dinner with both Bobs, Brenda and Hank at Applebees. Great fellowship and trip sharing with friends. Later, it was great to have a desktop to take care of e-mail and blog stuff easier. God is so good!

Tomorrow will be my first full day OFF in 22 days, though I will be busy. Laundry. Route work. Lunch with the Elders and Staff at Bible Christian Church. Visit to the bike shop. Time with Bob and Brenda as well as their son Clark and the others.

Please pray for God to pour out wisdom as I/we (Celeste is a big help) work on my route from Garden City to Joplin, MO. I have to be there by June 4th so I can fly out of Springfield, MO June 5th for Kingsport, TN to do Brad and Laura's wedding as well as spend great time with Celeste.

I love you & thanks for your prayers!

bob g

STATS - Mileage 109, Pace 12, Riding Time 8:36
Total GTD cumulative miles: 1,442