Sunday, May 18, 2008

Day 14: Cortez to Stoner, CO


Day 14 I got to sleep in till 7:30am today! I wanted to pick up some more travel size soap and shampoo at Wal*Mart plus purchase some chocolate milk! I also wanted to do some re-packing before Sunday School and Church.

It was nice meeting the folks at Cortez Christian Church. After church I made a run for the border (Taco Bell) and then stopped back in at Wal*Mart to pick up a small note pad. As I came out of Wal*Mart a FLORIDA GATOR was coming in! He now lives in Cortez but went to Winter Park High School and U.F. That was cool.

After Wal*Mart it was on to the airport to turn the rental car back in. From there I biked back up into Cortez and then began a gradual climb to Dolores. The last few miles into Dolores were flat and fast. In Dolores I stopped at the P.O. to mail Celeste some receipts.

From there I pushed on to Stoner, CO where I found a very primitive place to camp. The older couple who run the place are Christians and very sweet. They let me use their home phone to call Celeste. Since there wasn't any running water the wife filled up a gallon jug of well water for me. I set up camp, cooked up some Cup O Noodles and made me a mug of coffee and cocoa mix.

Before dark I walked around the site a bit and across the road to the raging Dolores River. I also talked with William a bit, he is the older couple's grandson. He informed me about the NBA playoff activity and about the history of the area. It was a nice chat. I returned to my tent by the river and settled in for the night. It was a cold night but my Florida jacket and the awesome sleeping bag I had kept me warm. I woke up once in the night and then again at 5:30am to get going.

Today I will tackle Lizard's Head Pass and the Dallas Divide. More later.

As always, prayers appreciated!

bob g

STATS - Mileage Today 32, Pace 11, Riding Time 2:48
Total GTD cumulative miles: 857