Sunday, May 11, 2008

Day 7: Cedar City to Hatch, UT
















































































Day 7 Happy Mother's Day and Happy Wedding Day to Scott and Audrey Blewer!! Our sweet UFCCH Alumni, married today in St. Augustine Florida.
I woke up and felt good so I decided to tackle "The Climb 2" after breakfast, calling Celeste and wishing my mom a happy Mother's day.
It was all it was made out to be. It took me 3:45 to climb 18 miles! About one half mile from the top of the steepest part I put on my running shoes and pushed the bike up the hill. Once it became less steep I put my biking shoes back on and pedaled away.


Once I reached the summit it was an awesome ride through an amazing mostly snow covered valley. Then down to Duck Creek Village. There I had to decide whether to call it a day or head on to Lake Panguitch (which I didn't feel I was up to because of the climbs on Mammoth Creek Rd.).

I talked with Celeste and the people in the store told me it was mostly downhill to Longview Junction where I would get on 89 North to Hatch. I was pleased that it was mostly downhill to Hatch. There I found the Riverside Campground and set up camp down by the river.

After some yummy Cup of Noodles I walked around a bit and then called it a night. I slept well though I did wake up a few times in the night. The first was around 3am and it smelled like there was a skunk outside my tent. I fell back to sleep. Before waking up at 6am I had a dream that I was biking and there was this really large climb from Lake Butler to Gainesville. I guess "The Climb 2" had taken a toll on me emotionally as well as physically.

Tomorrow I will ride from Hatch through Red Canyon past Bryce Canyon to Escalante, UT.

As always, prayers appreciated !

bob g

STATS - Mileage Today 56, Pace 9, Riding Time 6:00
Total GTD cumulative miles: 436