Saturday, May 24, 2008

Day 20: Westcliffe to La Junta, CO






















Day 20 was a day full of God's blessings. After a gradual climb out of Westcliffe I had a tailwind and downgrade all the way to Pueblo. About 10 miles outside of Pueblo I met Tom. He had been on the road for 39 days and was heading to Oregon. He looked beat. He said he had only had 2 days with a tailwind. I encouraged him and we continued our rides.

When I got to Pueblo I went downtown for lunch. I ended up on the river at the coffee/sandwich shop. It was there I met Mark and Mary. They had ridden down to the river to enjoy coffee and Mary's breakfast burritos. As I parked my bike they invited me to join them for a burrito. Mark then asked what I would like from the coffee shop. We sat and talked about my journey and what life was like in Pueblo. Mark was interested in my bike and trailer set up so we talked about that for a bit. Before leaving downtown Pueblo I stopped in an ice cream shop on the river walk for some sorbet. I also took time to charge my phone and check e-mail.

Mark had told me how to get to 50 east so I headed off toward Santa Fe St. I turned right and continued my eastbound journey.

Getting out of Pueblo wasn't bad but the roads were a bit bumpy. With a good tailwind I was determined to put in a good afternoon of riding. After Pueblo it was farmland, prairie dogs and small towns. I rode through Avondale, Fowler, Manzanola, Rocky Ford and Swink before stopping at the K.O.A. in La Junta. The manager was nice and helpful and the facilities are great.

Before heading to my campsite I met a couple who spent a year in Gainesville and loved it. They were camping with her sister's family next to where I would be camping. I got to site 40 and met everyone. They invited me for tacos and I accepted. After Joel gave the blessing we enjoyed the food and fellowship. After dinner I set up my tent, went over to Wal*Mart with Gary and Joel to pick up some Off, charged up my phone and did some e-mail. It was starting to get cold so I settled in for the night.

Heading for Lamar, CO tomorrow. It is a good stopping point before Garden City, KANSAS where I will spend a couple of days with Bob & Brenda Bates. I am looking forward to my time with them.

As always, prayers appreciated!

bob g

STATS - Mileage Today 121, Pace 16, Riding Time 7:27
Total GTD cumulative miles: 1,277


Photo of kissing prairie dogs is borrowed.