Sunday, May 11, 2014

GTD 2014 - Day 8




Winona, MN to Lynxville, WI

I woke up to great weather but the forcast was for rain.  The morning ride to LaCrosse, WI, was uneventful but I could see rain clouds off in the distance.

I found a McDonalds in LaCrosse so I enjoyed every a hot fudge Sundae for dessert.  At McDonalds I usually order Chicken Snack Wraps or McChicken Sandwiches or the Dollar Menu Cheeseburgers.  I don't worry too much about calories during a GTD Trip.

The rest of the afternoon I kept an eye on the rain clouds ahead.  I made it to the Mississippi River Bend Campground Office and checked in.  The Manager pointed me in the direction of my campsite, up the hill across the street.

What a hill it was!  I found my spot and set up camp as though the rains would come, they did!  Because I was well prepared with an extra tarp or two I stayed dry as did my gear.

The Manager told me I could use the porch and tv at the trailer two sites down from.  Just before the rain started I went there to cook my dinner and watch some tv.

After dinner and tv I hustled to my tent and settled in.  The rain put me to sleep and I slept well till lightening and thunder woke me up.  I couldn't fall back asleep so I went back to watch more tv.
It didn't take long for me to get sleepy so I returned to my tent and slept till morning.

The morning was about breakfast, drying things as much as possible, packing up and setting out to Dubuque, Iowa!