Tuesday, May 6, 2014

GTD 2014 Day 3

I woke up early and excited to get going on Day 1 of a 24 Day Adventure.  The call was for rain but when I looked outside it was a bit overcast but no rain.  I ate some breakfast, dressed warm, took a pre-ride photo and set out for Pequot Lakes.

The ride out of Itasca State Park was nice.  Ten minutes into the ride a slight rain started.  I turned on to Hwy 71 and the rain picked up and the cold seemed colder.  After about an hour I noticed that my phone was about dead; this was strange since it charged all night was at 100% when I started.  I was able to take a couple of photos before plugging into my I.Sound Portable Battery.  It began to charge right away; whew!

It was a rainy ride to LaPorte, MN.  Half way I received a call from one of the Campgrounds I booked in Wisconsin; they were letting me know that their Campground was under water and they were canceling my Reservation; surprise number 2.  No worries; God will provide.

I arrived in LaPorte and found the Paul Bunyan Trail.  Before starting down the Trail I took a break from the cold rain to get some hot chocolate and hot soup.  The Convenience Store Clerk was very nive and had a great Minnesota accent.  I set out down the Trail after warming up a bit and finishing my hot food and drink.

I was excited to ride the Trail and I was excited that the rain had stopped.  I passecd several ice covered lakes; the ride down the Trail was beautiful.  When I arrived in Walker, MN I got off the Trail to see the town and get a snack.  I was really excited to see the Northern Exposure store.  I snapped a photo and sent it on to Chris; he knew how much I liked NE.  Ironically the NE store was located in a town that sharedhis wife's Maiden name.

After leaving Walker the Trail took me through many small towns with interesting history like Hackensack and Backus. After Backus I was getting tired so when I found a bench overlooking Pine Mountain Lake I took a rest.  I also took time to call Pastor Olsen at Our Saviors Lutheran Church in Pequot Lakes, MN; I would be camping at the church.  I could not reach her so I left a message letting her know my location and approximate ETA.  After consuming some nutritious snacks I set off to Pequot Lakes.

After a few more small towns I arrived in Pequot Lakes and followed Google Maps to an abandoned lot.  I turned around and then asked a local if they knew where the church was; they weren't positive but they thought it might be down on the corner.  Since it was a small town I took a chance and that chance paid off; I had arrived!  Pastor Olsen and I had chatted a few towns back so I knew she would be arriving shortly for a meeting.  When she did arrive she suggested that I stay with her and her husband; they lived 8 miles south of the church just off the Trail; it sounded good to me.  Since I was spent physically she called him and had him bring his truck to the church.  We loaded up and went to the house; it was awesome!  After cleaning up he and I went to pick up some Chinese food; amazing!  After dinner and visiting I was ready for sleep.  It had been a good first day but a bit more taxing than I had anticipated: thank God for the prayers of his people and ibuprofen!