Friday, May 23, 2014

GTD 2014 - Day 20

Millington, TN to Clarksdale, MS

I wanted to get an early start so that I could see Memphis when it wasn't so crazy.  The ride into Memphis had a lot of downhill so before I knew it I was at the Pyramid in downtown Memphis.  I rode around it a bit and then went over along the River to Mud Island.  I read quite a few of the Historical Markers then decided to make my way down River into Mississippi.

Memphis was truly the highlight of the day.  The rest of the day it was countryside and small towns.  Unfortunately as I was entering Clarksdale I had my first accident of the trip.  The roads were terrible!  Big weather cracks were everywhere and one caught my front tire and steered me into the curb and then tumbling into the grass.

I knew I was ok so I immediately checked out my bike.  I knew if I had any bike issues I was in big trouble because I was in a small Mississippi town late on a Friday.  It was also a holiday weekend so there was a good chance that any bike shop would be closed until Monday.

Fortunately, PTL, my bike was fine!  I was a bit scratched up but nothing bad.  I got into town and stopped at a McDonalds to clean up and get something to eat.  I called Celeste to let her know where I was and that I had crashed but was ok.

It was a long day of riding so I was happy to finally get to my hotel.  Google Maps took me through all kinds of neighborhoods on the way to my hotel.  At one point I was sure I was lost but I trusted the Maps and a short time later I was pulling into my hotel.

I was really tired so I cleaned up and settled in for the night.  AC and a comfortable bed make for a good nights sleep.

Tomorrow I will continue through Mississippi.  The plan is to make it to Vicksburg.