Wednesday, May 21, 2014

GTD 2014 - Day 18

Charleston, MO to Tiptonville, TN

I had read that the bridge crossing the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers into Kentucky could be a bit tricky if you tried to ride it during the morning commute to work so I woke up early and started early.

I arrived at the bridge before the busy time and had no problem getting across safely.  I was now in Kentucky!

After the early morning push to get across the bridge I decided to stop for something to eat.  While there I met a young man on his first long distance tour.  He was still trying to figure things out and get in some sort of groove.  I shared a few tips with him that I hope helped him the longer he went.

I was heading to ReelFoot Lake State Park to camp but that changed when Celeste called me and told me that she talked to a Fish Camp that wanted to host me and Comp my stay.  The location of the Fish Camp was farther than the State Park but I thought I could get there ok.  I was wrong!

As the day went on and I was fighting the wind I called Celeste to let her know there was no way to make it to the Fish Camp.  She made a call to the Camp and they said no problem, they could send a truck to pick me up.  I looked on the map and told her the best place for them to meet me, she relayed that info to them.

I continued to ride to the point of meeting and there we connected.  The ride to the Camp seemed longer than my map indicated, not sure why.  Nonetheless I was being transported and looked forward to a good fish dinner, shower and night's rest.

The Fish Camp was very nice and the lake scenic.  The fish was delicious, I had no trouble falling asleep after dinner.

I was now setting my sights on Memphis, so glad to get back to a big city!  Until Memphis though, I would continue down the River experiencing the culture of the small towns along the Mississippi.