Monday, May 5, 2014

GTD 2014 Day 2







I woke up early; excited for the day to come.  My first stop was Freewheel Bike Midtown; I needed help securing my seat post.  Joe got that taken care of and fitted my Jamis VR with a cool fender.  FBM has a cafe so I enjoyed some coffee, a scone and conversation with "All the Way" Ray and Lou.

After FBM I set off for Itasca SP.  It was about a 3 1/2 hour drive to the park; very scenic with a few small towns along the way.  I checked in at thew Park Office and then went to the MR Headwaters to take a photo since it would be impossible to do so the next morning.  There is a certain feel standing at/in the MR Headwaters.  Just knowing that that little stream will grow into a mighty, mighty river that flows all the way to the Gulf of Mexico is incredible.

After the photo I settled in at my Itasca Suite; very cool place to stay.  I couldn't settle for long because I needed to return the truck to Park Rapids and then cycle back.  I dropped the truck off, grabbed something to eat then cycled the 23.5 miles back to the Suite.  It was a scenic cycle with a little bit of climbing.  Good warm up ride.

I cleaned up and then fitted my BOB Trailer with a rack.  After that I spent the rest of the evening organizing and packing so I could leave early the next morning.

It's been almost 2 years since GTD 2012; it's hard to believe how fast the time has passed.  I am now ready to Go The Distance again with the Lord's help and the prayers of His people.