Wednesday, May 7, 2014

GTD 2014 day 4

After a great night's sleep and breakfast I said goodbye to my gracious hosts and set out to get back on the Trail.  I was feeling pretty good due to the good food, rest and ibuprofen.  It was cold but not rainy PTL!  I found the Trail quickly and set out toward the end of the Trail in Brainerd, MN.

The Trail ended but the transition on to the road that would begin my journey to St. Cloud was easy.  I set out through the MN farmlands in bright sunshine.  The roads went from flat to rolling, from good to bad, from paved to hard packed dirt.  I began the journey with some Gatorskin slicks so I was a bit anxious on the dirt surfaces even though I was carrying 2 Schwalbe Marathons on my BOB.

This anxiety led me to reroute quite a bit thus my day grew longer and longer.  I had been in touch with Jacque Breman throughout the day; he and his wife were going to meet me at the Campground and take me to dinner.  They were jetlagged due to just returning from China so I felt bad for them as the day started to move toward evening and the longer I rode the farther away I seemed to get.

My last reroute took me from the country roads I had ridden all day to busy Highway 52.  I could now see the light at the end of the tunnel but would have to endure lots of traffic and a rough shoulder.  I finally got to St. Cloud and to the Campground.  I checked in, got my campsite and then found Jacque and hiswife asleep in their car.

I woke them up and we set out to my campsite.  I was blessed to be setting up camp under a pole barn shelter because the weather was turning bad.  No sooner did I pull under the shelter did it start pouring.  I locked up my bike and trailer, showered then set out to dinner with Jacque and his wife.  They treated me to an awesome all you can eat Pasta Dinner; it was fantastic!

After dinner we returned to my campsite.  Jacque directed his headlights inside the shelter so I could set up my tent.  The land was a bit low so I was strategic in where I set up so I would not be flooded in the night.  After I was finished setting up I thanked them for the dinner and said goodbye; it was great to spend time with friends after a tough second day of riding.

It rained all through the night but my set up strategy worked and I remained dry.  How awesome it was to check in to a Campground that happened to have a pole barn shelter on a rainy rainy night.  Once again God had my back.

Day 3 of riding would return me to Minneapolis and allow me to get some work done on my bike and hopefully visit with Joel Bidderman.