Sunday, May 25, 2014

GTD 2014 - Day 22

Greenville, MS to Vicksburg, MS

The Mississippi River Trail takes on many road numbers, thankfully it is well marked for the most part.

Highways 1 & 61 have been a constant in Mississippi as have small towns and countryside.  Outside of dealing with the heat and dogs the rides in Mississippi have been good.

At one point after turning down Bark Road and hearing dogs barking ahead of me I turned around an rerouted.  I had already had to get off my bike one time and grab a stick to ward off a dog or two.
After rerouting  and then getting back on what I thought was the route I was sure I wasn't confident that I actually was on course.  I had just climbed a long hill into a neighborhood and it didn't seem right.  I saw a lady working in her yard so I stopped and asked if I was on course, she said yes.  There must be a lot of long distance cyclists pass her house.

As I entered Vicksburg I saw some of the Historical Markers that it is known for.  The road to my hotel was tricky but I figured it out.  I showered then set out on foot to find some dinner.  I crossed over a busy road and walked uphill to a restaurant.  It was worth the walk.

I returned to the hotel, prepped for the next day's ride and went to sleep.  I was getting close to Louisiana and the end of my trip.  I was feeling good now after a physical and mental lapse mid way through the trip.