Wednesday, May 28, 2014

GTD 2014 - Day 25 - Last Day!

Gonzales, LA to New Orleans, LA

The rain resumed during the night so as soon as I woke up I checked the weather.  It was to let up in the Gonzales area in the next hour or so and then I was to have sunshine in New Orleans!

I took my time enjoying the hotel breakfast and getting ready for my final day of riding.  The rain slowed significantly so I set out.  I was to meet up with Jenny and the Crossroads Interns this afternoon so I didn't want to leave Gonzales too late.

I continued down Hwy 61 to Garyville where I got on the MRT which ran on top of the Levee.  It was so awesome to finish up the ride right along the River.  It was also interesting to see the life that people lived right along the River.  What started as a small stream in Minnesota was now a raging river in Louisiana that provided life to the area and the people.

It was fun to see the various boats and barges going up and down the River, this is how things got from one place to another here as well as upriver.

I was enjoying the ride until I came to a blockade that said the MRT was under construction the rest of the way into NOLA.

I got off the trail and checked my Maps.  I found a way to the French Quarter.  My dream had been too ride the MRT into the French Quarter and enjoy and awesome early dinner at one of the amazing restaurants in the Quarter.  That dream was shattered.

Due to traffic and construction I actually decided to eat at Jimmy Johns after passing the Superdome.  It wasn't one of the restaurants in the French Quarter but it was awesome nonetheless.  I touched base with the Crossroads Staff and decided to forgo downtown and head to the home of Crossroads Interns for the summer.

Riding through NOLA was nice but it was great to get out of the busy town and head to Arabi.  I arrived at the Intern Facility and Jenny just happen to be outside, it was great to see her!  She was working hard but having a blast as an Intern.

I brought my rid inside and found my place of lodging for the night.  I showered then went with the rest of the Interns to dinner at the home of the Crossroads Staff Leader.  It was an awesome night of feasting and fellowshipping.  While there I set up a ride to the airport for the morning to pick up a rental car.  I thought about riding there but after 25 days of riding and the drive ahead of me to Panama City I thought it best to catch a ride.

I look forward to tomorrow's journey to Panama City, I will pick Celeste up at the Airport and we will enjoy some days there with UF CCH Gon4ths, the beach and seafood!

GTD 2014 has been awesome but challenging.  Once again, no matter the situation, God provided every step of the way.  Looking forward to seeing the final amount raised and then how that will benefit UF CCH students who desire to serve next summer away from Gainesville.