Wednesday, May 14, 2014

GTD 2014 - Day 11



Davenport, IA to Burlington, IA

After a great breakfast Scott transported me back to my route.  Today I would rejoin my new friend, the Mississippi River, and continue on The Mississippi Trail to Burlington, IA.

I had been calling the Campground in Burlington to confirm my reservation but no one was answering the phone.  Finally late in the day they called me back to let me know that flooding has closed their Campground.  I thought, no worries, I will get a room in Burlington.

I arrived in Burlington and immediately realized that it was an interesting place.  Downtown wires stretched across the street and had bicycles hanging from the wires.  Modern art expression I guess.

I made my way out of the old Downtown area to the Business District where the hotels were.  I checked the first one, no rooms.  Second one, no rooms.  This went on and on till I was at one of the last decent hotels.  At first when I asked for a room there were none.  As I was about to leave one room opened up due to a cancellation.

I wondered why no rooms were available that time of the week in Burlington.  I was told that each week Business people would come to town to conduct business so rooms were always scarce mid week.  I was praising the Lord one opened up or else I would have been looking for a Park or Backyard to camp in.

The hotel provided me with a warm shower and laundry facilities, it was a good day and now good night.