Monday, May 14, 2012

GTD 2012 Day 9

When it rains it becomes more difficult to navigate if you are not prepared for it; I wasn't.  I hadn't yet invested in a waterproof case for my Iphone.  Therefore, I had to stop, find cover and check my paper map.  This wasn't the best situation either since my Ziploc and map seemed to attract moisture.

Navigational difficulties cost me about 45 minutes trying to get out of Annandale.  It also took me down a bumpy hard packed Nature Trail; what an adventure!  I was happy to finally get back on my route; tonight I would be camping in Madison, VA at a KOA.

The ride was very scenic and wet.  The temperature was good so I felt comfortable all day despite being soaked head to toe.  Later in the day it did stop so I was excited about my first night of camping.  As I approached Madison dark clouds were filling the sky and the wind was picking up; Celeste checked the weather and told me a big storm would be passing through shortly.  I had her call the KOA and change my tent site to one of the small KOA cabins.




When I arrived they were ready for me so I filled out the Registration form and pushed my bike up the gravel road to the cabin.  I really like the small KOA cabins; quite comfy.  I unloaded my BOB bag and lock up my bike and trailer on the porch.

After a shower I hurried back up to my cabin because the storm was coming just as predicted.  I turned on the heat in the cabin and settled in.  I got some reading done and spent some time chatting with Celeste.  After chatting I fell asleep; very easy to do after a long ride, dinner, reading and chatting.

In 2 days I would be in Salem, VA with my brother in law and his family.  Before that visit though I had to pass through Charlottesville; I was looking forward to seeing the UVA campus.