Wednesday, May 9, 2012

GDT 2012 Day 4

Jason had to leave for the hospital (he's a doctor) by 5:30am so I got up just after 5am to shower, retrieve my laundry, see Jason off, pack up and set off for New York City.  The call was for rain and the weatherman hit it right on the head.  It was going to be a wet ride all the way to the City.  After leaving Jason's I stopped at Starbucks for a coffee and bagel.  I double checked my route for the day and set out.  I was looking forward to riding into the City.  My selfish prayer was that it would stop raining before I got there. 

Because of the rain I put my phone in my handlebar bag in a Ziploc baggie (I didn't yet have a Jersey Bin).  This made navigation a bit tricky and time consuming because I had to stop and find cover to check my phone.  It also made picture taking non existent. 

After leaving Starbucks I did find my way to NY State Bike Route 25.  This took me on a tour of small towns on Long Island.  Due to the rain it was hard to enjoy them because I had to keep an eye on drivers (the rain makes them crazy).  In one of the towns I noticed an interesting noise coming from my bike and I felt as though something was dragging so in the pouring rain I pulled into someone's front yard, took off my saddle bags, unloaded my B-O-B Bag and unhooked my B-O-B Trailer.  What a sight for passers by!

I then turned my bike upside down and pushed on the pedal to see if I could locate the sound.  Nothing in the chain or gears.  I checked the brakes and found that my rear brake was way too tight.  I got my multi tool out and let some tension off the brake.  I also cleared away some street crud that had gathered around the brake.  I pushed on the pedal again and as the tire spun around the noise was gone PTL! 

I reloaded and re-hooked everything and once again set off for the City.  This was to be a short, easy ride to the City but the conditions (weather, mechanics, navigation...) were making it more difficult than anticipated.  After several stops for food, the rest room and navigation I finally could see New York City off in the distance.  Very exciting!  It was also exciting that the rain had stopped!  I followed the signs to the Queensboro Bridge and started across.

   
The ride across the bridge was exhilarating.  The sounds, the sights, the walkers and runners, the cyclists....  After crossing the bridge I got my phone out and checked the route to Central Park.  It was only blocks away so I got in the bike lane and headed that way.  I crossed over one final street and entered Central Park.  So cool!  There were so many people from so many places.  There were also all types Vendors selling all types of items.  I rode by the Zoo and then to the Fountain.  I checked the time and realized that I needed to head to Times Square if I was to have any time there before meeting Natasha Husein at the Penn Station Starbucks.

Riding New York City is a blast!  Cyclists have their own lane and drivers are use to cyclists so navigating the City is easy.  I got to Time Square and saw all kinds of activity.  There were bleachers set up and they were full of people.  I saw a camera following a couple around, maybe a commercial?  Others were like myself, looking at the electronic extravaganza that Times Square is famous for.




I was really happy the rain had stopped!  I had promised the students from Shimane University in Japan that I would strike the Hiro Nakamura pose in Times Square that he made famous in the show "Heroes" many years ago.  The only question was, who would take my picture?  A few moments later a mother and daughter from France approached me to ask if I would use their camera to take pictures of them in Times Square.  Of course I would I told them.  Before giving me the camera the mom wanted to take of picture of her daughter with the Times Square Cyclist (I am sure that is what I am known by all over France).  I don't know that her daughter was thrilled with this but she consented to get it over with I am sure.  I took several photos of them and then asked if they would use my camera to take a picture of me.  They were more than glad to.

 

"Yatta, I love New York City!" was my exclamation.  I thanked them for taking my picture and then uploaded it to the Shimane University - CCH FB Page.  Shortly after doing so I saw that several students from Shimane "Liked" my photo.  Just before setting out for Penn Station 3 middle school age boys in a cab called out to me.  They said, "didn't we see you in Central Park?"  I said they had.  I asked them where they were from.  They said, "here".  What a gig.  Living in New York City and running around in the back of Taxi Cab.  I am sure mom and dad were footing that bill.

The ride to the Penn Station Starbucks was easy and it didn't take long.  Scaffolding was set up around the Starbucks so I pulled my bike and trailer up next to it and locked it with every lock that I had.  I also took off anything that could be taken and locked it in my saddle bags.  I went inside Starbucks and positioned myself to where I could keep an eye on my rig.  A few minutes later Natasha arrived and we had a nice 30 minute visit (she had to run to get ready for work related dinner).  It was awesome to hear that she was thriving spiritually in New York City.  I am sure that she and Tim Tebow will be hanging out this next year since they both are Christians and Gators.

After leaving Natasha I had to navigate my way to a Hostel in Lower Manhattan.  I found it and went inside to check in.  Very interesting.  There was a man at the counter screaming at the check in girl that the Hostel was being run illegally and that he was going to make sure they got shut down.  She was calm and took it all in stride.  When he finally quit screaming and left I asked her about him.  He stays upset and tries to get others upset.  It hasn't worked so that upsets him more.  She got me checked in and we secured my bike, trailer and bag in a storage closet.

I walked up to the 4th floor and found my tiny, tiny Individual Room.  There was enough room for a bed and for me to set my saddle bags on the floor next to the bed.  Did I mention that the Individual Room was tiny, tiny?  No worries.  It would work for the night and I was only 2-3 miles away from the Wall Street Pier.  I had to catch the 6:25am Ferry to New Jersey the next morning.  I took a cold shower (the girl swore that they had come and fixed the hot water heater) and then went out to find some dinner.  It was nice out so I took some time to chat with Celeste before deciding on where to go for dinner.  The restaurants looked good but were more than I wanted to pay so I went into a very nice 7-11 and bought a salad and some fruit.  I went back to the Hostel and ate dinner in the TV room.  I thought about doing laundry but decided that that would be a bit too much work.  My riding clothes would be fine till I got to the Miller's house in Limerick, PA the next day.

I settled in for the night but the lights and noise of the Hostel kept me awake till after midnight.  Just before midnight I went out in the hallway and turned off several lights. This helped. 

STATS - Mileage Today 67.0, Pace ---, Riding Time ---
Total GTD cumulative miles: 230.9