Friday, May 18, 2012

GTD 2012 Day 13

I was excited to get up and get going to Kingsport; it was going to be great to see Steve, Gwen and Nevaeh again.  On my way out of Wytheville I saw a small group of cyclists ahead of me about a half mile.  I was catching up to them then as I passed a church I saw what would be a beautiful picture so I stopped, got my phone out of it's holder and snapped a couple of photos.  It turned out great; so I thought.


I started back and after a bit I got the group back in my vision.  As we approached a small town I saw the group turning left; there went my time of meeting up with some other cyclists; so I thought.  As I got to the bottom of the hill where the group turned I saw that there was one cyclist who continued on straight; I wondered why.  Fortunately I caught up with him in a bit and we got to chat.

He was from Australia and cycling solo across the country; he had just ridden with the other group for awhile.  We were able to ride together for several hours and even enjoy lunch together.  After lunch we parted ways; I was heading southwest and he was going northeast.  It was nice to ride with someone for the first time this trip.


The rest of the days ride into TN went smooth and then after Bristol it got a bit difficult as I ended up taking a route that I should not have taken.  Tight roads, hilly roads, traffic...all contributed to a stressful afternoon.  With that being said; I did end up on an amazing road in Kingsport that extremely tight and extremely scenic.  This stretch made the whole afternoon's frustrating ride worth it.  As I enjoyed that stretch I wondered how I never ended up on that road the whole time we lived in Kingsport. 



Just like two days before when I ended the day with a steep uphill into Eric's neighborhood; I did the say this day with a steep climb up into Steve & Gwen's neighborhood.  It was nice to get up the climb and then see a Gator flag flying in front of one of the houses in the neighborhood. 

I arrived at Steve Gwen's and was greeted by Gwen and Nevaeh.  Steve would be home from work shortly.  I moved my stuff in, got showered, started laundry and then enjoyed a great evening of feasting and fellowship. 

The next day would be an off day; there was going to be picnic at Bays Mtn. with friends from Boones Creek and Oakwood Forest.  Celeste's sister Lisa and her family would be joining us as well; how exciting.