Thursday, May 17, 2012

GTD 2012 Day 12

Because of the upcoming mountain climbs I was excited to get up and get going.  I left Salem early and made my way toward my first mountain climb before Christiansburg.  Before the climb I was a bit hungry so I hit a Subway and had their breakfast sandwich.  I also had the opportunity to cross paths with an east bound cyclist who was riding to raise funds for the family of a fellow firefighter who had passed on.  We had a nice few minutes chat. 



After Subway came the climb.  It was several miles long and I covered it in a decent time according to my cousin Kevin; he keeps close tabs on me when I am riding.

I passed through Christiansburg and headed to Radford; a college town.  In Radford I came across a bike shop (not surprising for a college town) and I took time to use their floor pump to get my air pressure where it needed to be before arriving in Kingsport, TN the next afternoon.  I also purchased a couple of water bottle cages to change out the ones on my BOB Trailer.  It was a really nice shop and the staff was extremely helpful.

After Radford I headed to my second major mountain climb of the day.  It was a long, grinding ride up; this climb was in excess of 3 miles.  Along the way I was surprised by one of our English Corner students who Skyped me during the climb; it was great to see him.  Once I got to the top I was rewarded for my effort to get there; what a view!  I took a few minutes to soak it in and chat with a motorcycle couple who wanted to know more about my ride.

 





The ride down was beautiful and fast.  I actually missed the Service Road I was to turn on so after going under I-81 I had to turn back and get on the Service Road that tracked along 81.  That is where I was the rest of the day.  About an hour out of Wytheville I stopped at a Convenience Store to refuel.  Celeste and I chatted about the weather report for the evening; storms were going to be passing through Wytheville.  I had a camp site reserved at the KOA in Wytheville; I had Celeste call the KOA and change my reservation from a campsite to a small cabin.  Good thing I did; after I arrived, showered, ate dinner and got back to the cabin; the heavens opened up and it stormed hard. 

That helped me fall asleep early.  I tried to read a bit but could not keep my eyes open.  Even in my tired state I was a bit excited about the next day's ride to Kingsport.  I would be staying with Steve & Gwen Janulis and having time to visit and celebrate with friends, family and CCH Alum Mike Rigas.