Monday, May 7, 2012

GTD 2012 Day 2

Monday, May 7th, 2012 was the day I had been anticipating and preparing for for 2 years.  After a good night's sleep I awoke at 5am.  I showered, ate breakfast, got my stuff together and loaded up Scott's car.  We then set off for the house I grew up in on Broadview Ct. in Troy, NY.  Since it was so early the traffic was light and the journey to Broadview Ct. much quicker than the day before.  We arrived at the house and unloaded my bike and trailer.  I connected my trailer to my bike and secured my saddle bags and B-O-B Bag.  Before leaving I took a moment to shoot a video.

 
After the videos and saying goodbye to Scott and Elizabeth I set out on North Lake Ave.  I was now riding the section of road that I dreamed of riding as a little boy.  I remember my first bike with training wheels.  I remember my first ride on Broadview Ct. that ended up with me falling over on to the gravel of Broadview Ct.  After learning to ride without crashing I remember the desire to leave Broadview Ct. for the next street over.  I can't remember if that happened before we moved to Orlando, FL.  Needless to say, it was happening today.  I rode down North Lake Ave. and cut through the Park I use to go snow sledding in.  If I told you this was not an emotional start to the ride I would be lying.

After navigating my way through downtown Troy I headed into Albany.  This was nice.  I've never spent much time in Albany so cycling through downtown was good.  I like statues so I stopped to take a picture with a former Mayor and his dog.


In the midst of the morning traffic I couldn't find my way to the bike trail that ran along the river.  By the time I realized I was past it it was too late.  This meant that I was going to have to ride through a not so nice Industrial area.  Once I got through this area though the ride became more scenic.


When I got to Coeymans, NY I first met up with my cousin Doug who was on his way to Albany for a job interview.  We took a few moments to chat then I had prayer for him before the interview.  A few miles down the road I then met up with Sue (Doug's wife) and the kids.  We had a great visit then I set off for an afternoon of riding along the Hudson River.


There were some nice ups and downs along the river but nothing drastic. I was riding down the west side of the river; it wouldn't be till Catskill that I would cross over to the east side. Before Catskill though I was excited to reach Coxsackie. I started out without a water bottle and now that I had been riding for several hours and the temperature was warming up a bit I was ready for a drink. I found a small convenience store that fulfilled this need. A little later on I had to shed my throw over and my long sleeve shirt. By this time I was starting to think about lunch but that wasn't going to be till I crossed over to the east side of the Hudson.



I finally crossed over and headed to Germantown, NY.  It was there I found a Stewart's!  I love Stewart's Root beer so I stopped in for a Chili Dog, Root beer and Ice Cream cone.  What a treat!  Especially since this was a later than normal lunch.  After lunch it was on to Marist College in Poughkeepsie, NY.  In preparation for the trip I had spent time on Google Earth so I was familiar with many of the sights before and around Marist and Poughkeepsie.  Once I began to see them I was excited that my first day of riding was about to be done and I was going to be introduced to some new Campus Ministry friends at Marist. 



I arrived on campus and asked a student how to get to the Campus Ministry building.  She gave me campus landmarks to look for so I set off across campus looking for the landmarks and the building.  I found the CM building and immediately met Brother Frank and Jill.  These were the two I had been corresponding with for several months.  They were very gracious and very glad that I had arrived.  We spent some time visiting and refreshing then Brother Frank had me follow him to Brother Richard's house on campus.  That is where I would be staying for the night.  Brother Richard was busy with end of the semester activities so Brother Frank got me situated at the house.  I moved my stuff in and got cleaned up.  Brother Richard stopped in for a few minutes so I got to meet him.  We determined that we would have breakfast at 6 the next morning before I set out.  Before he left for his dinner meeting he threw my riding clothes in the washer, what a blessing!  My plan was to only use one set of riding clothes for the trip since most nights I would have access to a washer and dryer.  After some organizing of my gear and reading I fell right asleep.  It was a great first day and I was thankful to God for all the blessings of the day and even the time leading up to the ride.  Tomorrow I will ride through Connecticut to Bridgeport where I will catch a Ferry to Stony Brook, NY.

STATS - Mileage Today 85.4, Pace 11.5, Riding Time 7:21
Total GTD cumulative miles: 85.4