Thursday, May 10, 2012

GTD 2012 Day 5

There wasn't much sleep in the Hostel due to a chicken wire covering over my tiny, tiny room.  That allowed noise and lights to keep me awake.  After 1am I finally fell asleep for about 4 hrs.  5am came quick so I rushed to get up, get my stuff together and retrieve my bike and trailer from storage.  I was only 2-3 miles from the Wall St. Pier so I was amazed how hard it was to find, even with the directions of the locals and the police.

I finally found the Pier and as I pulled up the Ferry was pulling away, oh no!  Fortunately the Ferrys were running late so the 6:15am Ferry was 10 mins. away, PTL!  It arrived and a couple of us boarded.  I placed by bike and trailer in a secure place and went inside to settle in for the hour plus ride.  Along the way I checked email and double checked the route for the day.  I would be riding from Belford, NJ to Limerick, PA.

Since I was so rushed to get to the Ferry I didn't have any breakfast.  After unloading and leaving the Ferry I found a small store and bought some milk so I could mix up a protein shake.  I had my shake and a granola bar then set off.  As I was riding through a neighborhood I saw a momma duck and her ducklings walking down the sidewalk.  Had to stop and take a photo (can't find it now).  I got going for real and was really surprised by the quaint little NJ towns I rode through.  This day was going to be the first 100 plus mile day and I was going to leave NY, ride through NJ and end up in Limerick, PA at the home of Jason and Bethany Miller (UF CCH Gon4th). 

The ride went through quaint NJ towns until the outskirts of Trenton.  Traffic picked up and at one point in the afternoon I was led onto a busy 4 lane road that was headed to Philadelphia.  I wasn't comfortable with my directions so I pulled over and consulted Google Maps again.  I saw that there was an exit coming up that I could take and get back on back roads.  After NJ I entered PA and was back out in the countryside.  I met some sweet folks at the different places I stopped to eat or get a snack.  As the day got late I was getting tired due to the length of the day and the short sleep I had the night before.  I was excited to ride through the farm lands leading to their house.  My tired turned to enthusiasm as I entered their neighborhood and then met Jason in the driveway. 

It was a great night of sharing with Jason, Bethany and their new baby.  An added bonus was having Scott and Audrey Blewer join us for dinner.  It was so great to see them and hear about God's activity in their lives.  After dinner it was time to get a good night's rest.  The next day's ride would take me out of PA into MD.