Friday, May 11, 2012

GTD 2012 Day 6

I woke up early and got to say goodbye to Jason.  I think the baby kept Bethany up late so she hadn't risen yet.  I loaded my trailer, connected it to Ol' Blue and set off for MD.

Before departing Limerick I stopped at WaWa for some breakfast (protein shake and fruit).  WaWa has become a favorite, next to 7-11 of course, so I am happy to see that WaWa has come to several cities in FL.

The days ride was very scenic through the PA farmland.  At one point I saw a sign for Organic Strawberries and Home Made Root beer so I had to stop.  It was a small Amish store run by 2 young boys.  I bought a small container of strawberries and a bottle of root beer.  The strawberries were awesome and the root beer had a bit of a kick.  I continued my beautiful ride through PA farmland before entering MD.  At lunch in PA, a convenience store, I met a lady who was very interested in my ride because her son is a long distance biker.  She was excited to hear it was a fundraising ride for CCH and began to share with me about her church and her involvement.  It was a nice break and visit.

I finally entered MD and experienced a change of terrain and scenery.  I now had to transition into climbing mode.  At one point after several climbs I started to crave a cold Mtn. Dew in a can.  As I was about to get to the top of a climb I saw a country store so I excitedly stopped to fulfill my craving.  The cold Mtn. Dew in a can was delicious and refreshing!  This energized me for the final stretch to Street, MD and the Harkins' Homestead.  There were more ups and downs before arriving at the house but it was very enjoyable.  I finally arrived at the house and was greeted by dogs, Jared and Morgan.


I unloaded everything, got laundry going, ate some pizza and set out to watch The Avengers with Jared and Morgan.  It was a great night, but Morgan and I concluded that they could have cut an hour off of the movie and it would have been just as good.  After the movie I was ready to sleep! 

I was excited about the next day's ride through the countryside into Baltimore and then on to Cory and Casey Parkin's house.