Saturday, May 12, 2012

GTD 2012 Day 7

Upon leaving the farm I knew it would be just a matter of time before countryside gave way to the city.  The Maryland countryside was beautiful and hilly until I started to draw close to Baltimore. 


The route through Baltimore took me through the Projects before taking me into the city for lunch.  I found a Starbucks and enjoyed a sandwich, iced coffee and a dessert cake.  It was a nice break; now I was ready to ride through Baltimore, DC into Annandale to stay with Casey and Cori.


I checked my map and set off.  It wasn't too long before I was riding across from where the Ravens play; that was cool.  Of course I had to snap a photo.  Later I passed by the University of Maryland before entering into Georgetown.  There were tons of tourists checking out Georgetown; I followed a couple of local cyclists through the traffic to the bridge that would take me across the river into DC.  Crossing the bridge was cool.  Looking to my left I saw some of America's historic sites; very cool!
 


 
After DC I worked my way through Arlington then set my sights on Annandale.  I encountered one area of confusion in Annandale but quickly figured out the problem.  A short time later I was turning into Casey & Cori's neighborhood; I was excited to be finishing up this tiring day.  After several turns I turned onto their street and found their new house.  Cori was home; Casey would arrive a short time later.  I moved my bike and trailer inside, unpacked my BOB bag, settled into the Guest room and got a shower.  We went out to an amazing dinner then enjoyed hanging out, chatting and listening to some old albums.  It was a great night; I was really looking forward to a day off in DC.