Tuesday, June 7, 2016

GTD 2016 - The Final Day!

Ormond By the Sea, FL to Cocoa Beach, FL

The storm had passed and the day was looking good!  I thanked Greg & Yolanda for their hospitality and set out to Cocoa Beach.

As I have noted time and time, I love riding along the water so the ride down A1A to Port Orange was fantastic.  I like passing through Daytona Beach and South Daytona Beach, so many great family and ministry memories there!  I also like that the old Burger King at Daytona Beach was turned into a Starbucks, I stopped to grab morning iced coffee.

Once I got to Port Orange I had to transition to US 1, not my favorite but there is no other option at that point.  It was on US 1, this final day, that I had 2 flat tires and 1 irritated motorist.  I was so ready to get to Cocoa so I could turn east and get back on A1A.

The ride from US 1 to the Coast is like a roller coaster with bridge and bridge after bridge.  Since I was on my road bike it wasn't as big a deal as it would be on my touring bike pulling my BOB Trailer.

During my 2nd flat tire change I let Celeste know where I was and my estimated time of arrival.  The youth group was going to arrive later than I was so I had Celeste meet me at Dunkin Donuts.  Instead of waiting for hours I put my bike on the rack and we went to the hotel so I could shower and rest before setting out to meet the youth group.

I was a bit stiff and my rest so starting out again was a bit of a struggle.  I only had a few miles to go to meet the group, I loosened up by then.  As I approached the meeting point I could see the youth director and the group holding signs welcoming me to Cocoa Beach and congratulating me on finishing GTD 2016.

After a great time of visitation and sharing about my ride we said goodbye and returned to the hotel.  Since I was a few miles short of my goal of 1,025 miles I decided to ride the long way back to the hotel.

I finished up, showered and began to relax for real.  As I finish one GTD I naturally begin to think of where the next GTD will take me.  Since GTD 2016 took place south of Gainesville I am thinking GTD 2018 will take me to the edge of the Panhandle into Alabama and back.  It's just a thought, we'll see.

After every GTD I am thankful for Celeste who is such a great support, to those who host me along the way, to those who support GTD and enable our students to go on mission trips and to God who makes it all possible and doable.

Until next time!  bob